Options

which 12.4 IOS to use on a 26_ _ xm LAB router

inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just loaded c2600 adventerprisek9-mz.124-19 to FLASH: because i was told we need a version 12.4 IOS.
This is a 29meg file and boots forever, and, ever and, ever; god forbid i have to do a reload cause i screw things up.

Can we use ipservices or a security IOS and get all the commands that we need for all our lab work, those files are 15 ~16 meg they must boot/reload quicker than the enterprise, but are still 12.4.

what 12.4 are you guys using?

I would like to use SDM fo r awhile because i see the setting in the gui that shows the commands before it is sent. This seems like a good way to learn some stuff if you don't know it already.
thanks

Comments

• Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Cisco feature navigator will tell you what items are in each IOS --> link. Which one you want / can use depends on a number of factors, not least of which is how much memory is in your router. Other factors would be what you are studying for. If it's CCENT/CCNA, IPBase would probably be fine and would be the fastest to load. However, IPBase doesn't have SDM (IIRC) (and not necessarily needed for those) and your profile doesn't say where you are so some IOSs may not be available to you due to cryptology import / export regulations.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went for the adventerprise feature set v12.4T(15) on my 2600xm/1760's. Yes, it is a larger IOS and takes longer to load up, but it does contain all the features needed for all tracks (routing/switching, voice, security), so it does save the need to change the IOS regularly.

I know what you mean about IOS loading times, a reload on a 1760 can take 5mins or so. But it can also work out as a good time to take a short break and clear the head.
  • Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    Imagine taking a laptop from 2004 and putting Vista on it. That's essentially what's happening here. You're putting on an ios FULL of features on to old hardware (and there's little in the way of streamlining possible). It's going to take a long time to load. If anything it's better as it teaches you not to screw up.

You can do as SPD3432 says and it'll save some time, but you'll probably come to a feature you'll need and have to flash the ios again. My advice is to grin and bear it, and stop making mistakes.