Options

Question for current WGU students...

kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
First of all, I have a fantastic mentor who pushes me and keeps me motivated. Here lately it seems like she is trying to rush me through my classes. I recently failed a liberal arts test, and told her I would need to study more before I attempted to take it again. I had my call with her today, and she wants me to take it again ASAP, even though I'm not ready. She has been doing this recently. She even did this after I failed the 70-680 for the first time. Anyone else have a increasingly pushy mentor?
WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
Courses:
Done!!!

Comments

• Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Nope, mine is pretty laid back, but I had completed my term requirements in under 2 months so no need to push me. Could that be it? Is she just trying to make sure you meet the term requirements?
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    mines fairly laid back ... just tell her what your end goal for the term is
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the opposite issue, I feel like mine could care less. I actually had a decent conversation with her today because I'm having trouble with this MTA web development class, but prior to today, she hasn't been much help.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I don't have any issues with mine.

She's pleasant and has a sense of humor. She unlocks my classes within hours. I haven't asked her for any help though. She's just pretty let me have all the rope I want. Knocked out 35 cu's in less than 3 months so I'm keeping up my end of the bargain:)
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Mine is really good. He asks me what I want to do and how fast I want to go and he just lets me go. Keeps up to date with how I'm doing in my courses and when I'll be ready to schedule an exam for a class. Definitely doesn't rush me or keep me slowed down.

If you aren't ready to take an exam yet or take an exam after a failed one you don't have to. Just tell her that you will let her know when you're ready and give a rough estimate on when you think you will be ready. If you are putting in your 20 hours a week or so, they can't really ask more from you than that.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Mine was overly helpful, arranging calls with various mentors who specialized in areas before each exam even though I was 100% confident on passing. I appreciated the effort but it was slightly annoying.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No problems with my mentor, she's great. Just tell her you want to make sure you understand the material before taking the exams.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    MiikeB wrote: »
    Mine was overly helpful, arranging calls with various mentors who specialized in areas before each exam even though I was 100% confident on passing. I appreciated the effort but it was slightly annoying.

Yikes... I can see that approach being good for some people. But, I know it wouldn't work for myself. One of the main reasons I chose WGU was that I get to learn my way, on my timetable. I'm very glad I'm paired up with a mentor that is there for me if I need her (I haven't yet, other than a few questions about processes/policy) and basically just leaves me alone to take care of my business. Our calls are merely a formality it seems, like 1 minute just to say hello and if I have any concerns.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU