Options

Interview yesterday..

LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
I had an interview with a manager from a multinational security-solutions company yesterday after passing the initial phone screen a couple of weeks ago. It consisted of a 50+ question multiple choice exam that reminded me of a certification exam the way questions were worded. It went over a broad range of IT topics from security concepts, server and data center architecture, and networking. It was pretty humbling to say the least (due to the fact that it touched on many things I don't use everyday), but I got a "decent" score anyway. I'm kicking myself for some of the questions I missed though. While talking about certain topics, I was able to show that I understood the concepts, and made the manager wonder why I missed related questions on the exam. Supposedly, I'm moving on to the next step with HR. Not bad for my first face-to-face interview in almost 8 years. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, but I'm fairly excited about the possibility of working at this company as it should provide several new challenges and opportunities for growth. Thanks to everyone for all of their stories, advice, and resume critiques.
My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!

Comments

• Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Twice before I have taken these kinds of exams and scored just above middle of the road and I got hired both times anyway. A lot of times these tests can be designed to see if you know more than the position requires so that they can consider you for other positions.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Good luck on the job! 8 years is a long time to be at a job in this sector.
  • Options
    Thanks folks. Now comes the wait to see what is what...
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Good luck with the interview. I've been at my current job for 2 years and feel like I've been here forever.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    Victory!!
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome news. Let me be the first to wish you a big congrats.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Let me be the second!

Congrats!
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    Congrats!!

third!
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Hell yea, congrats man!
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz! So what exactly will you be doing?
  • Options
    Congrats, what are you going to be doing?
    2012 Certification Goals

• Options
    Thanks everyone!

I've been M.I.A. from this thread while I was waiting on my official offer letter. The wait is now over, and I can get the ball rolling on the transition.
    I'll be a System Administrator that will wear several hats possibly (VMWare, UNIX/LINUX, Windows, Routers and Switches). Pretty much everything I've learned and will learn this year will be put to use, as well as past experience.
  • Options
    Sounds great. Good luck in the new job.
    2012 Certification Goals

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    So you do or don't have the official offer letter? The gig sounds sweet, I have been curious if unix/windows skills combined would be beneficial in larger environments.
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sweet! Congratulations on the new gig! You've learned and now it is time to do! icon_thumright.gif
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    Devilry, the answer is yes.
  • Options
    Keener, truer words were never spoken. I've been at my new gig for about a month, and I'm doing and learning something new EVERY DAY. I have years experience as a Systems Admin, but the stuff they are using is requiring me to learn more and I LOVE IT! Everyday I go to work uncomfortable, and knowing I'm going to be required to pickup and apply a new skill quickly. This has been a pretty exciting time because I'm getting to learn and soak up a lot of knowledge from very seasoned veterans in the game, while learning new ways of thinking and contributing to a team. Without all of the knowledge I picked up in 2012, I don't believe I would be in this job.