Options

Linux Jobs on the Rise

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
While I don't usually like articles by this particular author...this one happened to catch my attention.

https://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/185:jennifer-cloer/609615:the-linux-talent-draft-is-on

It goes on to say that many employers at both large and small companies are on the hunt for those with Linux skills, but are having a hard time finding qualified candidates.

Now would be a good time to go visit the Linux+ and LPI/RHCE forums icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I have noticed this.. I was wondering how much good it would do to be MCITP/MCSE & RHCE
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A+, N+, S+ is old news

Linux + is the new A+ :)
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    God its hard to find a really good Linux admin/engineer.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Yup. We've got a Linux Admin II position open at work. Just waiting for someone qualified...
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    ok cool, linux is great
  • Options
    In the web dev/design world many online training companies (CodeSchool, CodeAcdemy, etc) help train users and then they get to work through projects as part of their membership. When the projects are complete they get ranked/rated by peers and professionals. Those that score hire get referred to real jobs by partners of those companies.

It would be an awesome business idea if someone could reproduce such a process for Linux admins/engineers. Something like provide training, give them real world let tasks, troubleshoot some issues, and those that do everything well can be recommended for full time jobs. You could also do something like train them and then work with partners to let each person get an unpaid internship for let's say a 3 month period working remotely...this could give companies some free labor and help get some users jobs by "showing" their experience.
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've noticed this well, there's 3 or 4 Linux System Admin position's available for every 1 Windows System Admin
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are these jobs Linux Admins due to companies switching to Linux servers or is it all the network appliances out there that use linux as the OS? I was just curious because I was thinking of switching my server focus to linux due to a lot of security tools are used on the linux platform.
  • Options
    Personally I think that it's about more and more companies leveraging Linux in their environment. Windows licensing is expensive, plus many people don't like where Microsoft is going with their new release. You also have to look at things in the cloud and the whole "cloud" push. I would venture to guess that more than 2/3 of all cloud deployments are Linux based because there is no "licensing" cost associated with it.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    i think most linux uses are server inclined~ at least that's how i view it =p
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think there are licenses for the linux servers used in cloud services. The licenses are just cheaper probably from Redhat, Novell, Sun, etc. Or it's more in the support contracts is where they make the money.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I know that Linux skills are quiet desirable on my team. We have one guy who knows Linux well and he's a bit overtaxed with the amount of stuff he needs/gets to do. My boss has specifically told me that he'd want me to pursue some Linux knowledge/certification after I pick up my JNCIE-SEC.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Personally I think that it's about more and more companies leveraging Linux in their environment.

This is spot on. The flexibility of the OS(es), stability, and nonexistent licensing fees are driving the usage trends and make for a growing demand of engineers. Plus *nix reaches into a lot of areas from cell phones to networking gear. That doesn't mean a Solaris Admin is going to be perfect to code for Android phones, but it does mean that person will be a lot more familiar than someone who doesn't know Unix. This benefits the business in the push for diverse admins/engineers in the workplace.

Another thing though is the marketplace is pretty saturated with MS admins and short on the *nix admin side. Supply and demand is the simplest explanation. That said, I think things are most fruitful for mid - senior engineers right now as I've heard some complaint about both getting in on the ground floor and the more advanced jobs being scarce.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness