Options

Routers with ios 12.3

oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
Hey all,

Looking at a few routers on eBay, current cheap and end in 15 hours. 1* 2620xm, 4*2501,1*2514.

The 2501 and 2514 can only run IOS 12.3. I'm not sure how much of a big deal this is for CCNA/NP level.

Anyone have any input on this?
Thanks in advance
Lab:
Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.

Comments

• Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally I think the 2500 series has passed its use-by date.

Check out Wendell's site CertSkills, LLC > Home as he covers off the various hardware platforms and IOS versions suited for NA/NP.
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Waste of money and will be a problem for NP. Buy another 3550 and use GNS3 for routers.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    You need at least 12.4t for CCNP. I would suggest some 2600XM series routers with max flash/memory. Wendell Odom wrote a good blog on this topic:

CCNP Build Lists
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    OK thanks guys. As it includes the 2620xm with I think it's called a NM-4A/S, a WIC-2T I will keep an eye on the price anyway. Not many of these 2600xm routers on UK ebay so. Not sure how much flash/memory it has though.

What I don't get anyway is why they have so much Flash (e.g. 64MB)? Aren't the OS images only a few MB each..?

Don't also want to start using GNS3 either, decided to do the full lab route so.
    Lab:
  • Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    oli356 wrote: »
    What I don't get anyway is why they have so much Flash (e.g. 64MB)? Aren't the OS images only a few MB each..?

Don't also want to start using GNS3 either, decided to do the full lab route so.

12.4T Enterprise services for the 2600 series is 32mb or so. There are some even larger. The largest flash you can get in a 2600 is 48mb i thought?
    I don't use it, but I wouldn't knock GNS3. It's good to get hands on experience but it can be useful.
  • Options
    TehToG wrote: »
    12.4T Enterprise services for the 2600 series is 32mb or so. There are some even larger. The largest flash you can get in a 2600 is 48mb i thought?
    I don't use it, but I wouldn't knock GNS3. It's good to get hands on experience but it can be useful.
    Oh right, quite large then. I just made up that 64MB number for example purposes. How important is the RAM then? Again, in test lab purposes where no data is being transmitted constantly (in the form of hosts/servers) I wouldn't think max would be needed.

GNS3 looks good for sure, used it a bit. But I don't want to go out and buy PCI NICs for my pc, plus I don't have any pic slots available.
    Lab:
  • Options
    The IOS in flash is compressed, It needs uncompressed and loaded into ram to be used. Each IOS will specify a recommended ram amount. To a point you need a certain amount of ram for loading the ios into and processing overheads. Some older XM models can't have the ram upgraded because the bootrom is too old (and needs upgraded too).

Just try getting a 2651XM. They came with what was max ram for the 2600 series. The bottom line is that you're better having it for running the newer ios and while it'll probably work without it, it'll be sub optimal.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    prtech wrote: »
    Waste of money and will be a problem for NP. Buy another 3550 and use GNS3 for routers.

+1 spot on!!!

You want 12.4t or better

More recent ios images can get up to around 36MB depending on features and router.

You can usually get 1721/1751/1760 for reasonably cheap if you have to have hardware. Sometimes go from around $20 to 50 depending on if they have a wic or not.

If anyone in Australia is after 1721/1751 send me a pm, I have a few I want to sell.
    Just got another 1841.
    1841's here have been going from around $150 to 250 each.

Nothing wrong with using gsn3, it runs a full real ios image.

Look at cisco feature navigator for how much ram the different ios versions need.
    The more features the more ram needed and the larger it is in flash.

2651, 2600xm or better or 1721/1751/1760 or 3745 or 3660 - the 3000 series routers are rather large and noisy
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    Thanks guys, understood.

The 1760s in the UK are around 70 AUD/USD each while the few 2651XMs on there are about 95 USD/AUD.

The Cisco feature navigator search page seems to be down a lot! Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

Watching a 1760, according to the listing is has: 64MB of flash and 192MB RAM, WIC-1 + ISDN BRI, ends in few hours - currently just above 60 AUD/USD. For some reason my 2950s are SO much louder than my routers and 3550, its ridiculous.
    Lab:
  • Options
    clean the fans and the cases so the airflow isn't blocked.
    can of compressed air or soft bristled bush to gently brush the board down.

For the fan a damp cloth same for the case - not the motherboard
  • Options
    Will give it a shot, time to try figure out how to remove the casing of them then!

Taken 5 screws out from the back, can't seem to take top off though. Don't want to break it haha.
    Lab:
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    GNS3 is good if you have fairly recent PC hardware. My "ancient" dual-core Athlon 64 desktop PC at home couldn't handle GNS3, even with gobs of RAM.

It's good to get hands-on exposure to the hardware anyway. What are you going to do, tell interviewers you've done nothing but use simulators to study? :D In any support environment, be it networking or desktop or whatever, it's good to get to know the equipment close up. I've supported equipment blind with just a few written procedural documents. . . it's no fun.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    GNS3 is good if you have fairly recent PC hardware. My "ancient" dual-core Athlon 64 desktop PC at home couldn't handle GNS3, even with gobs of RAM.

It's good to get hands-on exposure to the hardware anyway. What are you going to do, tell interviewers you've done nothing but use simulators to study? :D In any support environment, be it networking or desktop or whatever, it's good to get to know the equipment close up. I've supported equipment blind with just a few written procedural documents. . . it's no fun.
    Hehe, quite demanding I imagine. That idle PC is a MUST.

The nerd inside me just wants to look at my rack full of equipment anyway. Well, that's once I can finally build the thing (missing parts, faulty parts..)
    Lab:
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    From your signature, can i assume that you have picked up those 1760's which you've been eyeing? =D

BTW, i envy people who have L3 switches =p
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    Had these the 3 switches and 3 routers for a month or two now. I've only got my eye on one, ends in 30 minutes, that will be my 4th :p

The price of the 3550 seemed right (SMI version) so bought it for future use and put the EMI IOS on it.
    Lab:
  • Options
    oli356 wrote: »
    Will give it a shot, time to try figure out how to remove the casing of them then!

Taken 5 screws out from the back, can't seem to take top off though. Don't want to break it haha.

If it's a 2600 you take the screws from the top and slide the case parallel to the top of the case and then lift it off.

I've got a 2621XM max memory (£21), a 2610 (£1) and am waiting on a 2651XM arriving (£27). If you're patient and on a budget you can get stuff dirt cheap on ebay. Layer 3 switches are however always in demand and go for £100+
  • Options
    If it's a 2600 you take the screws from the top and slide the case parallel to the top of the case and then lift it off.

I've got a 2621XM max memory (£21), a 2610 (£1) and am waiting on a 2651XM arriving (£27). If you're patient and on a budget you can get stuff dirt cheap on ebay. Layer 3 switches are however always in demand and go for £100+
    (We were on about my Cisco 2950 switches because they are so noisy compared to everything else!)

Picked up the 3550 L3 switch for £80 including postage, item #110905070116 I offered £70 and he accepted :)

I'll keep looking but I still haven't seen anything go for dirt cheap and there isn't THAT much on there anyway.
    Lab:
  • Options
    You just have to keep searching every day for the models you're after. And be prepared to walk away when the price rises. You can get 3550s for £60 including postage every month or so. Took me 3-4 months to get just three routers and two switches though :P
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    petedude wrote: »

Idle PC helps a lot even on crappy hardware. I labbed for ROUTE using only GNS3 on a netbook running W7. I've ran 10 routers without any issues.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    You just have to keep searching every day for the models you're after. And be prepared to walk away when the price rises. You can get 3550s for £60 including postage every month or so. Took me 3-4 months to get just three routers and two switches though :P
    It has turned into a daily search! I would rather not wait forever though and just pay that bit extra.

Just won the 1760 (64MB flash, 192MB RAM) with the WIC-1T and ISDN BRI or whatever it is. £30 + 10 postage, happy with that.. Now to buy another DB60 cable, they are stupidly expensive!
    Lab:
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I totally agree about cables being expensive!!! >_<! they are also one of the big reasons why I might just go the GNS3 + linked hardware switches instead of building a full blown lab...

I only have 1 switch at the moment though... 3 routers = = which i'll eventually replace with GNS3..
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    You can get 3550's cheaper than that
    I picked up one for AUD$127 and a 3550G for $50
    eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d
    eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Then if you need the modules to interconnect switches you can get the 3500xl gigastack modules and cables for cheap.
    Some sellers will give them for free
    Cisco GigaStack GBIC  [Cisco Transceiver Modules] - Cisco Systems
    Catalyst GigaStack GBIC - Overview  [Cisco GBICs] - Cisco Systems
    Catalyst Switch GigaStack Configuration and Implications - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    Not in the UK you can't.
  • Options
    Well 127AUD is £85 so pretty much what I paid..

What I would like is one of those Digi CM32 Console servers, there are none on ebay though in the UK icon_sad.gif I don't want to buy on American ebay and pay the same price in shipping though.
    Lab: