Options

Any advice on job searching?

Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to finding employment? I have applied to Civilian, government, and contract positions(most entry level work) and cannot get anything serious going. I'm former military, don't have a criminal record or anything along those lines.

Me and my wife live in Florida, but we are open to moving just about anywhere in the country and I still can't a offer anywhere. I understand I'm not the only one in this situation, but jeez.

It's extremely frustrating.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What kind of experience do you have?

What about posting your resume up for review?

Are you getting interviews or just blown off altogether?
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    An article I read recently said if you are currently looking, keep posting your resume every 3-4 days on the various sites. Most recruiters only look at the most recent updated resumes, so you want yours to come to the top as much as possible.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm with N2IT...can you give us some experience, what kind of job you are searching for/interested in, etc.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    What kind of experience do you have?

What about posting your resume up for review?

Are you getting interviews or just blown off altogether?

Not comfortable posting resume. I basically have no actual IT working experience. I've gotten a couple of interviews; nothing came of them. I'm only applying for entry level positions. Sys Admin, Help Desk, etc. I apply to contract positions and don't even get a phone call. Strange. I'm working on my AA right now.
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    It would really help for you to post your resume so that people can give you some advice. Take out your personal information and the company names you've worked for since you've been out of the military.

Maybe try applying for level 1 phone support positions. I know they don't pay much but it's a start and will get you some experience. With the certs you have listed and no experience I'm not sure you'll get a job as a sys admin or even help desk depending on what you are applying for.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    If you do not want to post your resume at the very least search through this forum and look at some of the resume threads. It is very possible that your resume is holding you back. You say you are open to relocation but currently working on an AA. Is this at a brick and mortar or an online school? You might be able to score a job as a computer lab aide which could evolve into a desktop technician role.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    lantech wrote: »
    It would really help for you to post your resume so that people can give you some advice. Take out your personal information and the company names you've worked for since you've been out of the military.

Maybe try applying for level 1 phone support positions. I know they don't pay much but it's a start and will get you some experience. With the certs you have listed and no experience I'm not sure you'll get a job as a sys admin or even help desk depending on what you are applying for.

Pretty sure it's not my certifications which are holding me back. I've seen guys with less doing well for themselves.
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    I'm former military (Non-IT) and came out with 0 experience. You just have to be persistent. Each person's path will be different but I didn't get an IT job until my senior year of undergrad. That's 4 years of non-IT work before I landed a 6 month coop. Since the coop I've had good success staying employed in the field.