Options

Can someone please review my resume?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have only done 3 jobs at Work Market, but I thought I could add them to my resume. Also, I want to take more jobs, but I work at my full time printing job, so it’s been hard to pick up more jobs.

How does my resume look? Could I make any changes? I did all the jobs for Iyogi, but I’m not sure if the titles are right for that position. Also, I started taking the jobs in June.
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Doesn't look to bad to me. I'm a little leary of the dates near information system security member, but maybe that is the right thing to do. It looks sort of bizarre sitting really low in that section. I think I would remove that date.

Some people swear by objectives (I am included) others hate them, either way commit one way or another. A one liner like that is not going got get it done.

Community Involvement spelled incorrectly. Keep your dating format consistent. I would convert 2011 to 2011-2011 or present depending on the situation.

I would put a space between work history and your first job.

Is the IYogi job a temp contact? If so make sure to state that in the job field. 2012 - present and looking for a new gig is going to look like a job hopper. If you are working a temporary engagement then make sure to call it out.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    My opinion: scratch the objective. Let your experience dictate your career level. Plus, everyone knows you want a job. (Edit: As you can see as N2 said, some approve- some don't. But him and I do agree, if you are going to use it- really sell yourself.)

Your current IT job, you start off very detailed with Windows 7, chkdsk.. then say "all problems" in the next line. Be more specific. What things have you done?

In your volunteer position, "navigate the internet, use a mouse...." is not exactly noteworthy. Why not say something the lines of "Trained clients in basic skills operating a Windows desktop computer"?

I would drop the Third Shift Merchandise Stocker. It isn't relevant and it isn't filling any Employment gaps since your Paper Carrier job covers that same work period. This will give you more room to really expand on your field technician experience.

I will let others chime in- those are just a few things I saw right off of the bat.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Here are my critiques:

For the dates of each item I would add a month. For example you have 2012 - present. Does this mean you started last month, in May, or in Jan? Do something like Jan 2012 - Present

I would drop your entire computer experience section. Honestly, unless you are going for a job with MS Office skills, it's pointless to list them. Also XP & Win 7 are common skills that don't need listing on their own. If you want to keep this section then change the contents to something like:

Computer Experience:
    Windows XP, 7, 2003, 2008
    Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, Backtrack)
    Networking (Cisco 3550, 6500)

This shows that you have specific skills for specific areas (change these to match whatever type job you are applying for and only list them if you actually have experience in those areas).

Because you have multiple items to show work experience, I would limit each of the bullet points for these to 3 bullets only (only one section has 5 currently). Also as you build up some more IT experience make sure you drop anything non-IT related (makes employers take you more seriously as you start applying for more advanced positions).

Aside from the above remarks everything else looks good icon_smile.gif Obviously these are only suggestions​ and you can choose to ignore them all or incorporate them icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thank you everyone for the advice!!! I gave everyone rep..thank you !!
    I made some changes..does it look a little better?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Volunteer work is still work so why not put it near the top especially since it's more relevant to the jobs that you're looking.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would drop the objective, change professional development to certifications and drop computer experience. Use the extra space to add more detail about your skills and more information overall about your IT experience.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd set your tabs for the dates so they line up correctly. Right now they are all over the place. Justify them from right to left and place a tab so they all snap into the same line.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    The revised version looks much better, but work still needs to be done. One liners don't work on resumes. So, like others have said, drop the objective / experience sections or elaborate more. I would change "Professional Development" to Certifications as mentioned previously and then either drop the word "certified" on the Comptia stuff or break out the certs and list when they were obtained like:
    CompTIA A+, June 2012
    Comptia Network+, may 2012
    Comptia Security+, Jan 2012

Then, use tables to lay out the title and dates of each position. As N2 said the dates are all over the document.

One more thing. If this is a resume for a support role or whatnot, you really need to up sell your technical experience and down play the rest. Tell the person who is viewing your resume what the day to day was like as well as any accomplishments you made at the position. Elaborate. Good luck and I hope you land a great role in IT.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness