Options

Ports. The Ports!

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
There's nothing like flipping through pages in a book, and finding a challenge: Memorize the ports. I'll going to list the ports and show you how my brain is wired to make the memorizing a snap:
FTP Data port - 20
FTP control    - 21
SFTP            - 22
SSH/SCP       - 22
Telnet          - 23
SMTP           - 25
TACACS/"+    - 49
DNS             - 53
TFTP            - 69
HTTP            - 80
Kerberos       - 88
POP3            - 110
LDAP           - 389
LDAP w/ TLS - 636
LDAP w/ SSL - 636
HTTPS         - 443
IPSec          - 500
L2TP           - 1702
PPTP          - 1723
Terminal Ser - 3389
Remote Desk - 3389

FTP: Most FTP ports are right in line with each other
FTP Data and Control: Table starts at Port 20. D before C
SFTP: S before T (See TFTP - 69)
TFTP: Innuendo. Yes, really.

Two 22 Ports: There's two 2's.
SSH/SCP: Three S's. Three FTPs prior to this port.

Telnet: Port 23. Calculator typing, "E" is the number "3"
SMTP: Because I kept writing "SNMP" and had to whiteout the whiteout... No tip for this one other than I remember 25 (money) first, and remember that can't be "Telnet" - see above tip.

TACACS: 49. 49 Is just an odd-ball number. TACACS/TACACS+ is just an odd-ball thing.
HTTP: I remember Port 80 just from internet use ><
Kerberos: I don't know why I remember this one. Probably because I knew HTTP port prior to anything - Port 88 just came naturally.

Pop3: 110. The "0" for "o". Two "P"s for Two "1"s
NetBIOS: Only one to have a range. Only name with the last words in all caps.
IMAP4: Port 134. The "4" in the port. I remember the port number because of port "443" which just has a "1" instead of a "4". Two "4"s for both ports. If I remember one and not the other port number, the other one is remembered.

SNMP: Just a stab in the dark.
HTTPS: 443. HTTP is 80. I Just remember HTTPS is 443.
IPsec: Port 500 "Indy 500"
LDAPs: LDAP Has 3 ports. I list them in order. "389" and "636". Two "6"s for two "636" ports.

L2TP: Learn to 2 Play. Port 1701. Two (Port name) "1"s
PPTP: Men's Toliet Paper. Port 1723. Three (Port name) "P"s
Terminal Services and Remote Desktop: VNC.

Generally: As far as the last two digits in the port numbers for column two: they all go up in range (0-9)...except for SNMP, IMAP4, HTTPS.

I still have problems with remember that SNMP and IMAP4 is actually there. I'm only on chapter 4, and i've been doing this chart once a day, 2-3 times. Just to make sure I can nail it without much issues in the exam room :)

Hope this helps.
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Oh I remember this pain... As you advance in certifications, you'll have to learn so many more.. LDAP over SSL, LDAP, Kerberos, SMB, etc. So many numbers floating around in this head.

If you're taking Security+ soon, good luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Yeah, I 'faintly' remember having to do this for Net+. I'm going for my Sec+ sometime. But I figured I'd get aquainted with memorizing the tabel before I get to test time. That way I can keep it refreshed whenever I see "HTTPS" or IPSec in the reading. I'll probably lurk the Linux+ sometime. So much to learn. So little time.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Do you feel like there is a lot of overlap between the Security+ and Network+? I took the N+ first and I remember vaguely thinking that there was
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You get used to it over time, you end up working with the same things over and over again and you memorize these ports like the back of your hand. However for an exam i know you have to cram those "well known" ports. Funny cause they are not so well known to those who are starting out these exams lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    There's definitely a lot of overlap of Cisco for Security+. I'd say there's a fair amount of overlap for MS as well - which is great to have that exposure.

I actually skimmed over Chapter 3. Because of Net+ and Cisco. I highlighted the main points of what I didn't know and moved on. I seen it, but didn't really read it.

Chrisone: Yeah, FTP (20) just lingered from wherever I originally learned it from... I think Network+, actually. HTTP was just there it's port 80.

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I'm only on chapter 4, and i've been doing this chart once a day, 2-3 times. Just to make sure I can nail it without much issues in the exam room :)

Great post. Repetition works and sometimes it's about the only way.
    Do you feel like there is a lot of overlap between the Security+ and Network+? I took the N+ first and I remember vaguely thinking that there was

Absolutely. Anyone that has recently mastered the material for the Network+ and passed that exam is well on their way to taking and passing the Security+. The ports is one of the overlaps, but there are more.
  • Options
    sec_wizsec_wiz Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How about when taken the reverse way Darril? I am sitting my Sec+ in 2 weeks time, then plan to study for my Net+
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    sec_wiz wrote: »
    How about when taken the reverse way Darril? I am sitting my Sec+ in 2 weeks time, then plan to study for my Net+

Yes, there's still overlap. I'm sure you'll find it easier taking the Network+ after the Security+ than it would be if Network+ was the first test you took.