Options

VCP5 after networking

txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, I'm going to be finishing up my CCNA pretty soon and am wanting to learn virtualization. Would it be a good idea to jump into the VCP5 after learning some networking? Has anyone else taken this path? Advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    I've been curious about this too. Hopefully someone will have some insight.
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    Great idea! I would build a home lab and install vSphere 5.0. Buy a server off eBay, and get some hands-on experience. VMware has free download for 60 days. Also, seen numerous job posting for network engineers with both Cisco and VMware experience.
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    Maybe I'm misinformed, but I was under the assumption that VMware stuff was more for people who are in the field because it's training is different or something. I could be completely wrong, though, and probably am. I've always been interested and just didn't know how to get started/what it involved.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Exams are laid out in a way where you really should have experience in order to pass the exam, but this is why a server from eBay was suggested.

The best way is to buy some kit and go through the official documentation and the blueprint of the exam.

It's is not easy without experience but certainly achievable.

Bear in mind, VMware requires a mandatory course too, which isn't cheap. The new Microsoft Cloudy thing doesn't require a course, just tick boxes Microshaft style :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's close to the path I took. I got CCENT, CCNA, Sec+, VCP4. I was using VMware at work when I got my VCP.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im a L2 Desktop support at a large enterprise and I get to work with VMware a bit, but not enough to where i have full range access to everything.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    My local CC is offering a ICM course that is "approved" by VMware. The course is only 150.00 or so, but is 16 weeks long. I think it's Berkley online that offers a ICM class with voucher for 1K.

For the exam will ESXi with local storage cut it for a lab or is vSphere and a block storage device preferable?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    onesaint wrote: »
    For the exam will ESXi with local storage cut it for a lab or is vSphere and a block storage device preferable?

Setup a software SAN using Starwind, Openfiler or FreeNAS.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Setup a software SAN using Starwind, Openfiler or FreeNAS.

If your vcenter is based on 2008R2 you can also just install the free iscsi target ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Thanks gents.

I've actually been planning to run OpenIndiana or BSD with ZFS for storage. I was just wondering what is preferable lab wise for VCP prep. I'll have to see what the ICM class is setup like.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally know one guy who is CCIE R&S/SP, CISSP, and VCP. On twitterverse, I know there are several guys out there who are network geeks that are also VCP. One that comes to mind right away is Colin McNamara. What I noticed is that network geeks who are taking VCP (or took it) are focusing in the data center networking.

I signed up for the VCP class in a local community college next month. I use ESXi at work for my test environment so might as well take the VCP. I should really be concentrating on CCIE but I figured once a week shouldn't affect my studies that much.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    onesaint wrote: »
    Thanks gents.

I've actually been planning to run OpenIndiana or BSD with ZFS for storage. I was just wondering what is preferable lab wise for VCP prep. I'll have to see what the ICM class is setup like.
    If you want to go with OpenIndiana, just go with the community version of Nexenta. I use it for storage in my test environment at work and I love it.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%