Im a certified NEWBIE on here all together..

Blackpower_357Blackpower_357 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey IT Professionals and soon to be..... Im super new to the forums thing and i ran across this site and it looks very well assembled and it looks like a very good place to start my path further into what i like to call the "IT World". I was recently let go from a reputable cable company that has internet support. I've been battle with myself when should i go for my certs like everyone around me was going for. Im no stranger to the IT world, i have a BS in Computer Information Systems but i realized that degree is just not enough. I need MASSIVE help from you guys. I know some people can relate to where im coming from. Im on a mission to prove to a lot of folks that didnt believe i can make it and get ahead in this field. I just need some suggestions with some materials to pick up. And remember im starting from scratch.. I have NOTHING. icon_redface.gif

I need all the help i can get. Please all comments would be great!!

Comments

• MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hate to state the obvious here, but get certified in whatever fields you like working in, and have experience in.

I'm sure others closer to where you're living will be able to give you a better idea of what's best for the job market in your area.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would recommend figuring out what you like. Since you're starting from scratch, it might take a few tries before you find out what you really love. A lot of people on here like starting out with the CompTIAs. If you have any knowledge of what topics fascinate you (or you'd like to learn more about) then I would recommend jumping in whether it be Microsoft, Cisco, virtualization, Linux.

What drew you to technology? What about it makes you feel passionate or driven?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • MstavridisMstavridis Member Posts: 107
    Well if you are not sure what to do just yet just hit the A+ Network+ and Security+ they are vendor neutral and will show employers that you are willing to continue your education.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to TE.

It can be tough to be laid off. Hopefully it gives you an opportunity you explore other areas of IT.

What were you doing before at the cable company? Perhaps you can leverage that experience.

Are there any aspects of IT that interest you?
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pick a field you like and then we can probably help with creating a career path.
  • whitepower_09whitepower_09 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't say you have nothing... You have a BS in CIS and that in itself should probably give you a leg up on starting out.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOL @ Blackpower_357 and whitepower_09 icon_cool.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Blackpower_357Blackpower_357 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend figuring out what you like. Since you're starting from scratch, it might take a few tries before you find out what you really love. A lot of people on here like starting out with the CompTIAs. If you have any knowledge of what topics fascinate you (or you'd like to learn more about) then I would recommend jumping in whether it be Microsoft, Cisco, virtualization, Linux.

What drew you to technology? What about it makes you feel passionate or driven?

What drew me to technology in the first place was the fact of me being curious on what made somethin worked altogether. But i found out that i loved making things worked when something goes wrong. Everyone i knew came to me to figure out whats goin on with their personal stuff. So when i went to the cable company as a tech support. I feel in love with the fact of me fixing peoples problems. I like the network side of connectivity. So, im thinkin i would love to be ultimately a Network Admin and then some. icon_wink.gif
    Mstavridis wrote: »
    Well if you are not sure what to do just yet just hit the A+ Network+ and Security+ they are vendor neutral and will show employers that you are willing to continue your education.

Im thinkin of doing just that..... I want to kick it off and get the first three basic certs. But i hear people dont even bother with those and go straight to CCNA or MSCE. And im thinkin that maybe a good look for me as well. Only thing that slows me down dramatically from doin that is the COST of those certs. WOOOOW!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I hate to take out a loan or something just to take those test when im ready so to speak. Is there a way to get the best "discount" on takin Certification in general? ---(Thats open to the floor, anyone that knows something can chime in)
    Yea @paul78... it hella tough. Letting family knw ur situation when i was so promising to "make it" and get dropped.. But im trying to make the best of it and try to get up on my education as far as the certs. I was a tech support for Comcast Corp. I've been there five years. I knw my way around troubleshooting. I've heard it all. lol. But i like network in general maybe security too.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Im thinkin of doing just that..... I want to kick it off and get the first three basic certs. But i hear people dont even bother with those and go straight to CCNA or MSCE.
    Right. If you *know* Networking or Servers are where you want to be, you can go straight for one of those. You, however, have not indicated that you've found which direction you most crave. A bit of exposure to each could be helpful in deciding what you enjoy. That's on reason schools often expose you to literature, math, music, art, physical education, etc. If you end up going down the wrong rabbit hole, your quality of life won't be very high, and you'll probably eventually end up digging yourself back up so you can go down the other one.

Is there a way to get the best "discount" on takin Certification in general?
    The cost of these certs is negligible compared to the rewards if they help you do what you love.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If money is tight, perhaps you may want to wait until you find another job. You do already have a BS so that is meaningful. Are you having any luck in your job search?
    Right. If you *know* Networking or Servers are where you want to be, you can go straight for one of those. You, however, have not indicated that you've found which direction you most crave. A bit of exposure to each could be helpful in deciding what you enjoy. That's on reason schools often expose you to literature, math, music, art, physical education, etc. If you end up going down the wrong rabbit hole, your quality of life won't be very high, and you'll probably eventually end up digging yourself back up so you can go down the other one.

The cost of these certs is negligible compared to the rewards if they help you do what you love.

Understood!!! I gotcha on that. I def understand where you coming from. Im seriously liking the network side of it. And i am def willing to go further into that so that i can be a professional onto that. The main reason for me throwing out the question about discount on certs is because i heard there was places that offer vouchers if im not mistaken. So i was mentioning that for that reason alone not to find the cheap way out of getting over. lol
    paul78 wrote: »
    If money is tight, perhaps you may want to wait until you find another job. You do already have a BS so that is meaningful. Are you having any luck in your job search?

Maaaan, im having no luck in finding a decent IT position. I put in some time into the tech support field so i wanna venture elsewhere. But i am goin to look for the first tech support gig i find so that i can get where i want to be.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have NOTHING. icon_redface.gif
    This is not true. You have a Bachelor's degree in CS and IT work experience. People spend years to get to the level you are on right now.

You are underestimating yourself :)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ...i hear people dont even bother with those and go straight to CCNA or MSCE. And im thinkin that maybe a good look for me as well.
    Depends on the experience you have. If you've done computer tech.support, there is not reason why you could not skip CompTIA certs and go for CCNA/MCSE.
    The main reason for me throwing out the question about discount on certs is because i heard there was places that offer vouchers if im not mistaken.
    This company has an established reputation:
    Discount Test Vouchers for A+ Certification Microsoft Certification from GetCertify4Less
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Welcome to TE

+1 to getting some basic certs to start with. A+ Network+ and Security+ are all good starts.