Options

Skipping Security+ for CISSP good idea?

HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
I dont want to waste time on S+ so jumping straight CISSP, is that odd?

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you already know all of the material covered by the Security+? What is your experience/background in IT Security?
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have prior experience (5 years) in security, I think it makes sense. If you don't, or are borderline, I'd do Sec+ to knock a year off the experience requirement towards the CISSP.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you already have the experience and you know the domains, whether you have the Sec+ or not is irrelevant.
  • Options
    ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Like others said previously, if you have the experience, go for it. I just passed the CISSP exam, and I have no other certs nor any college degree . . . just lots of experience, and motivation.
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Seen it suggested that folks seriously consider both Security+ and the CCNA depending on your overall knowledge and comfort level. Personally, the test took me 32 minutes to complete with a 98% pass. Did it really help? No, not really outside of reaffirming that I already knew the material. You can think of it a confidence boost.

- beads
  • Options
    FalasiFalasi Member Posts: 115
    I always recommend new people interested in Certificates to start with Comptia/or any entry level cert , most of them (people) are used to essay questions - where they can explain the answers and sometimes more things that they think related to the answer - then multiple choice answers , so when they face the later they panic and start assuming extra inputs to the question.... at least thats what happened to me and few other friends.

If you are sure , at least get famulrized with the way ISC2 is thinking , try studISCope to make sure that you are in sync.