About Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)

MallowGirl12MallowGirl12 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Describe how the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) obtains the MAC address of a networked device to which the computer wishes to send a packet. How is this procedure modified when the destination computer is not on the local network?

A bit lost with this question.

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • MallowGirl12MallowGirl12 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think i found the answer finally
    JunosE 13.1.x IP, IPv6, and IGP Configuration Guide

ARP forces all receiving hosts to compare their IP addresses with the IP address of the ARP request. So if host 1 sends another IP packet to host 2, host 1 searches its ARP table for the router 1 MAC address.

If the default router/gateway becomes unavailable, then all the routing/packet forwarding to remote destinations ceases. Usually, manual intervention is required to restore connectivity, even though alternative paths may be available. Alternatively, Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) may be used to prevent loss of connectivity. See JunosE IP Services Configuration Guide.
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Mallow: Yup... so PC A sends an ARP (Broadcast frame) to mac of all F's which is everyone! They determine if the request is for them, if it is.. they respond, if not they discard.

If the request is for a PC on another network, well when you want to send packets to 10.1.1.1 and you're 10.1.2.1/24 you compare the destination address with yourself and ARP for the default gateway who then processes the request.

I wouldnt be concerned with the bit about vrrp etc etc.. that's beyond the scope of your request.

-- What materials are you using to study? what are you currently doing for work?

Here is an awesome site: Cisco Is Easy
    drkat wrote: »
    Mallow: Yup... so PC A sends an ARP (Broadcast frame) to mac of all F's which is everyone! They determine if the request is for them, if it is.. they respond, if not they discard.

If the request is for a PC on another network, well when you want to send packets to 10.1.1.1 and you're 10.1.2.1/24 you compare the destination address with yourself and ARP for the default gateway who then processes the request.

I wouldnt be concerned with the bit about vrrp etc etc.. that's beyond the scope of your request.

-- What materials are you using to study? what are you currently doing for work?

Here is an awesome site: Cisco Is Easy

Hey i'm using past exam papers to revise from for my exam as my teacher has recommended me to revise from past papers, as exam will cover the same material, i use online material to find answers, reread my notes, Google & Youtube for more information :) Also using the subnet calculator
    oh ok - I'd still suggest cisco is easy blog
    oh ok - I'd still suggest cisco is easy blog

Thanks, whats the best way of remembering everything in Networking? Am a bit nervous for this exam, even though i've been revising alot :)
    How do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time. So take it easy and just repeating things until you get it
    How do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time. So take it easy and just repeating things until you get it

Hahaha thanks :)