Options

Quick Launch problems

dhight1980dhight1980 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All

I'm fixing my parents' computer and I'm having problems turning on quick launch in the tool bar. I know about the two different ways (the Show Quick Launch check box and the toolbars menu) but if i select the check box I would select the check box then "Apply" or "Ok" and it still would not appear. I would re-open the properties box and the checkbox wouldn't be checked. If i used the right-click, tool bars approach i would receive an error "cannot create toolbar". If anybody nows a way to fix this let me know but i have a feeling there is no way with out re-installing XP

thanks

Comments

• Options
    nate_lewisnate_lewis Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Type IEUINIT.exe at the Run prompt. Then re-enable the quick launch bar the same as before. If that fails then try this:

Type one at a time in the run dialog box:
    REGSRV32 /i SHELL.DLL
    REGSRV32 /i BROWSEUI.DLL

Restart and re-enable

Hope that works.
  • Options
    I tried both of those and windows could not find any of the files..... any ideas??????
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Instead of reinstalling, you could try a repair. Boot from the CD, and choose the repair option. This will basically copy over all the Windows files again, leaving your personal files and programs intact.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    I did some more research online and found that some spyware programs delete the quick launch folder. After checking, sure enough the folder had been deleted from the user profile. I ended up copying it from another user profile and it works fine now. thanks for the efforts though