M$ saying good-bye to Hotmail

RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
First time hearing about this...Microsoft will be shutting down the Hotmail name and its new moniker will be...Outlook.com

I believe if you sign up for Outlook.com using your old Hotmail username you will still be able to access your kept email and still enjoy the new features (I am guessing the domain email will be username@outlook.com instead)

I saw a few screenshots and it looks like the Hotmail view in the Windoes 8 betas...not a bad look but I didn't want to see Hotmail go.

Read for more info: Microsoft previews Hotmail successor, Outlook.com | Microsoft - CNET News

Comments

• RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    That is pretty cool it supports ActiveSync.

I can hear my mother now- "I have this there Outlook account and it isn't working in my Outlook!"
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I made sure to sign up for my first intital + lastname @outlook.com before someone snatched it up.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    blargoe wrote: »
    I made sure to sign up for my first intital + lastname @outlook.com before someone snatched it up.

me too!
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    man, mine was taken. my first.last was taken too. So I did lastname+first initial, that worked.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    good idea, i just reserved mine, dont think it will get much use but i have it
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    same got firstname.lastname
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks guys just reserved mine too.
    God deserves my best
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hey thanks for the heads up! I got patrick_wheeler my wife did get the . in her naming convention.

Cheers!
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    If you are upgrading (read change) your existing hotmail.com to outlook.com, you wont be able to send mails from your hotmail.com id using a mobile device..
    once changed to outlook.com, you can still select your old hotmail.com id as "From" while sending email using browser but mobile devices (android/ apple) start sending emails from outlook.com.
    also, if you are using old android device (where you have configured hotmail as exchange using m.hotmail.com) its not going to work anymore. you have to switch to "hotmail" application.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did first.last couldn't do f initial-last name.

I might use this exclusively for resumes...this is much better than hotmail (currently I use my current edu address.)
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    looks like my gmail in all honesty.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Couldn't quite get first.last name, but got it close enough.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I picked up my first.last as well - and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the outlook.com service. Once it's a little more fleshed out, I may consider switching away from gmail - Microsoft says that they're concerned with privacy... We'll see how that works out.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Got first initial, middle initial and last name. Other combo was taken.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Woot. Got my firstname.lastname e-mail addy.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Thanks for the heads up. I got first_last@outlook.com
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    In there like swimwear.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    Just snagged mine!
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got my outlook id a few days ago....fist.lastname *SCORE*
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    Got my outlook id a few days ago....fist.lastname *SCORE*

fist.lastname ... are you in fightclub?? we are not suppose to be talking about that now are we....
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got my first non-embarrassing email account. Whoo.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are they going to force everyone with a hotmail to migrate to the new domain or just redirect people to the outlook.com site and allow you to login with the old domain like how you can use a @live.com or @hotmail.com with hotmail currently.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    I would have used my first initial and last name, but that comes out as coxley. Doesn't really look professional. :p I chose businesscard@outlook.com. It'll be the email I put on business cards.
  • XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not a bad idea to sign up for a first name grab. I'm surprised I got it, considering how common my name is. Now, whether I'll actually use this is a completely different story. Maybe I can use this one to apply to jobs for instead of my gmail one with numbers.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    my hotmail account still works. I still get plenty of 'little blue pills' ads. I must also be popular since a lot of hotties want to talk to me.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had my hotmail account since 1997, but i was able to rename it to the first 4 letters of my name plus my birth year.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter