How do you wake up with downtime?

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
So far I've injested a week's worth of Tea, and even tried a cup of Coffee (I strongly dislike coffee).

Im so tired I actually got dizzy at one point standing to an employee about their issue. I'm looking for advise to stay awake :)
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is your sleep patterns like? I I get anything less then 7 hours I am a zombie.

Also eating health has a large part to due with energy. Simply intaking mass amount of caffine will only work for so long. After a while your body has nothing to burn and goes into a crashed state. Eating fast food on your lunch or break or even anytime will do nothing but make you go into a carb comma. Your body is working too hard to try and digest that it litterally exhausts you.

I try to eat very well balanced atleast twice a day (I don't get much in the morning because I don't give myself enough time, I need to).

Sleep and eating healthy with a couple cups of coffee in a day gets me along fine. I also work 12 hr shifts too 3-4 days a week so I need something that I know works.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lately, pretty horrible. I've slept 3 hours last night, and the night before about 2
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well thats your answer isnt it. do you live an active lifestyle? maybe try going for a run or something to get your body tired
  • glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i get around 7-8 hours and i'm a zombie every morning. I have to hit snooze about 3-4 times before i actually get up. i usually perk up when i arrive at work though..
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Lots of Monster Energy drinks and Aeroshots :)

AEROSHOT Energy
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    I personally think caffeine/energy drinks just make the matter worse over time. I usually do 2-3k metres in the pool every morning, and gym or run after work. People say they're too tired to go to the gym etc, the only people that say that, are the ones that never go to the gym.

Stay active and you'll have more energy all of the time. I never drink tea/coffee, and only drink red bull if I really really need it, like if i'm called in at 2-3am or have been working for 16+ hours. Normally plenty of water is alot more effective than caffeine drinks.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You sir, need a vacation. Seriously.

I find that a combination of good sleep + exercise does the body good. I've started this new habit (well, I'm developing this habit at least icon_lol.gif) Every time I get up or return to my desk I do 10 push-ups. Works well.
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    If you're getting 2-3 hours of sleep and wondering what you can take to help stay awake- it is called more sleep.

EDIT: VL, I do something similar. Sometimes if I am on a conf call just listening or waiting for something to install, etc I have some 25lb dumb bells here I just start doing some curls and presses with just to help pass the time. They aren't heavy enough to cause me to be out of breath or sweat, but aren't so light I'm not doing anything.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Lots of Monster Energy drinks and Aeroshots :)

AEROSHOT Energy
    I wish I could drink an energy drink. My company has banned them since our field workers who work long hours aren't allowed them. They banned them company wide. Though, we are allow copious amounts of free coffee if we want it.

Back to the OP. You need more sleep man! Like others, if I get less than 7 I'm a zombie - and then when it comes to the weekend I usually get 10 hours of sleep, and then I feel sleepy for the rest of the day.

Just get into a pattern of sleeping for at least 7 hours. Lately I've been exercising A LOT. I'm going through the BeachBody Insanity program \m/ I've done P90X 3 times and wanted to give this a try. I've already been through this program once and lost 22lbs in 60 days (last year). Anyway, getting back on track - this program burns A LOT of calories and will have you asleep in no time.

Also, what's your diet like? A lot of people are affected by what they eat/drink. I have a friend that can't drink a caffeine product AFTER 12:00pm. Otherwise it'll keep him up all night. I, on the other hand can drink coffee all day and sleep almost immediately afterward. Also, how much water are you drinking in a day? That could also affect your sleeping pattern. If you don't drink enough water in a day your body's PH level will be raised and you'll usually end up feeling crappy, which can lead to consuming more fizzy drinks.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    you may wanna try some

Melatonin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and soon as you get home turn off anything that is electronic like tvs/computers let the brain rest before you go to bed

constant mental stimulation can really hurt sleep
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    I'd probably die if they banned energy drinks at my company. We do get free coffee ala K-cups, but most of them taste like crap and the machines don't get cleaned very often. Plus every can I drink is the same as the one before, no surprises and I'm trying to earn a new backpack!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I wish I could drink an energy drink. My company has banned them since our field workers who work long hours aren't allowed them. They banned them company wide. Though, we are allow copious amounts of free coffee if we want it.

What do you mean by banning energy drinks? You can't even have Gatorade? (I would think it unreasonable if they banned health drinks like Vitamin Water.) Maybe you mean they're banning caffeine drinks like Monster? (You know, there are a few that are sold in packets now, so you don't have to bring the cans in. You might also be able to get Unbound at the AM/PM soda fountain, and mix it with some orange soda.)

I also find Vitamin B complex pills helpful sometimes when I'm dragging.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    xbuzz wrote: »
    Stay active and you'll have more energy all of the time.

Weird. The ones I know that are single (few responsibilities) and are in much better shape than me are always the ones too tired to go out. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Go see a physician, you might have a light case of sleep apnea. It can make you feel horribly tired even after a good long sleep. All they do is give you an oxygen mask to sleep in.
    MIOENERGY is pretty good and Walmart has a caffeine powder that I enjoy.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    petedude wrote: »
    What do you mean by banning energy drinks? You can't even have Gatorade? (I would think it unreasonable if they banned health drinks like Vitamin Water.) Maybe you mean they're banning caffeine drinks like Monster? (You know, there are a few that are sold in packets now, so you don't have to bring the cans in. You might also be able to get Unbound at the AM/PM soda fountain, and mix it with some orange soda.)
    MMM, orange soda! Though, orange soda is the only drink to have more grams of sugar than any other soft drink.

Yes, caffeine products like monster, red bull, and such. We're allowed to drink Gatorade - actually, they recommend it for this time of year since it's 115F outside and a lot of our employees will be out in the heat. I usually bring in my 74oz (8 glasses worth) water bottle and fill it up in the morning. I sip on it during the day and have one coffee in the morning, that works best for me.
    CCNP R/S
    Devilry wrote: »
    Go see a physician, you might have a light case of sleep apnea. It can make you feel horribly tired even after a good long sleep. All they do is give you an oxygen mask to sleep in.
    Ha - and you'll end up looking like this

CPAP_Mask_Full_Face-pd.jpg
    CCNP R/S