Options

Upgrading XP to Win 7

Commguy23Commguy23 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am reading the Poulton book, and there is a question about upgrading from XP to Win 7. The answer is to wipe and clean install Win 7. On Transcender, there is an almost identical question with clean install as an option, but the answer is to upgrade XP to Vista, then Vista to Win 7.
Which is the best option if that were to come up on the exam?

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It depends on the situation. If the question is asking what the best option is for upgrading to windows 7 from xp with no strings attched then it is to do a clean install. If there is stipulations on having to keep specific applications in place then the only way of doing this is the upgrade from xp->vista->7. Check the questions again and see if there is a requirement in the trancender question that requires you to keep programs or very specific settings.
  • Options
    embraceITembraceIT Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The keyword to look for is "upgrade" versus "migrate". However @kriscamaro68 is spot-on with his analysis. If push-came-to-shove, I would think a wipe and clean installation, and re-installing the XP application in XP mode, would be the preferred approach. (Of course, if you can't reinstall the application, you're back to the recourse pointed out above.)
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you want to keep the user data and settings as much as possible its better to go up the chain one by one. If you want to start fresh you can hop up to Win 7 with no problems. +1 credit to kriscamaro who beat me to it
  • Options
    Ok thanks for the responses. I understand.
    I was going through my transcender exam and had quite a few subnetting questions, I didn't think we had to know how to subnet for this exam. For example, one question (in short summary) gives an ip address 192.168.100.5/24 and asks which subnet mask to use. Is this really something that might be on the exam?
  • Options
    Also, how many questions is the exam and how long do you get to take it?
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This is similiar to something a question I had on my exam. Subnetting for tihs exam is very basic. Read this thread all the way through and it will give you a good idea of what to look for in the test: http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/75134-passed-70-680-a.html
  • Options
    Thank Kris,
    Also, another question (I should just start a new random questions thread)...

In the Poulton book, chap 14 pretest, question 1 is: Your working from home on a win 7 computer and need to access your work computer (also win 7) by means of cable internet connection, what tool should you use? -terminal services -remote assistance -remote desktop -VPN

I chose VPN and its remote desktop, this is one explanation that I don't understand because I thought remote desktop can only be used within a domain, because how can you connect to an IP address at work that's hidden behind NAT? You would VPN in to work and connect to your PC, right?
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    You can do VPN, but it's easier to just open up a port in the company's firewall.
  • Options
    Anthony23Anthony23 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well you should make first to your computer's specifications to upgrade the windows 7 tp windows XP because the windows 7 is some heavy and have extra anf updated files and requires a high level and heavy computer specification with extra memory HDD....