What is the best router simulator out there?

synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some input. I'm working on my Cisco CCNA certification which shouldn't be too difficult after which I will be taking the CCNP or a Cisco security certification. I was browsing the internet trying to figure out what is the best router simulator available. I've seen several but most of which are several years old. If anyone knows its the people on this forum. icon_cool.gif
Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The best router emulator hands-down is GNS3.

If you're only looking for a simulator--which although lower-quality is enough to pass the CCNA--Packet Tracer is popular. Boson Netsim costs some coin, but comes with a ton of helpful labs.
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    Great. I'll get them both. Thanks.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    synseq wrote: »
    I was browsing the internet trying to figure out what is the best router simulator available. I've seen several but most of which are several years old. If anyone knows its the people on this forum. icon_cool.gif

The best router simulator is your very own brain, your noodle and "noggin"!! However to specifically answer what you "asked", I would go with the CCNA Network Simulator "Lite" included in ICND1 book. I bet it's good enough to punch your CCENT ticket and earn you a CCENT!! However, you can use anything to get you the CLI experience, even using something online like Testout.com which has lab sim questions buildintoeach section quiz, where you have a network diagram and you click routers and enter right commands. It grades it and is pretty accurate for not even being an actual lab simulator. Works real good in getting you CLI experience FAST. The rest can be up to Packet Tracer labs. I hear the Boson exam questions simulation questions are just like the actual test.
    Cool. I ordered that book off amazon earlier. I was looking into that boson net simulator. I downloaded the trial if I think it's worth $350.00 I'll go ahead and buy it. I have that packet tracer program but I have to dig through some of my backed up dvds so I can check it out. Instead of spending 350 dollars on that Boson Net Sim I may just purchase a router off Cisco's website. I have tons of computers and wireless devices throughout the house I've been meaning to incorporate everything into a single network with wireless capabilities. I have lots of devices that are wireless but not all of them are on the network and right now I'm just using some cheap router that I haven't been thrilled with. I plan on ordering some network storage devices as well so I figure it wouldn't hurt to order a Cisco router and building one big network with all of my wired and wireless devices should be fun :). I took a brief look at cisco's website and some of their linksys routers but I don't know if they are using cisco IOS software or just basic GUI software like you'll find on most low end routers. I think navigating the real CLI will be beneficial like they say experience is the best teacher. Which option would you go with? Cisco router? Boson Net Simulator? I know the Boson Net Simulator has many features and will let you do a lot more than a lower end cisco router but then again the Cisco router is the real deal :shrug:

• IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cool, when you get it, let me know..I just got mine and haven't had a chance to crack open the cd. are you on IM? email me or IM on gtalk is metadeep@gmail.com

Downloading gtalk now, I'll shoot you a message in a few minutes.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    synseq wrote: »
    I know the Boson Net Simulator has many features and will let you do a lot more than a lower end cisco router but then again the Cisco router is the real deal :shrug:
    It depends where you're stopping and how tight your purse strings are.

GNS3 is as real-deal as you get. That's why it's regularly used by CCIEs and soon-to-be-CCIEs.

If you're stopping at CCNA, then Boson or Packet Tracer will do, and it comes down to a time vs. money trade-off. The CCNA only covers a small subset of IOS commands.

(NetSim costs $180. I would only recommend their CCNA package.)

Going for hardware in theory sounds good. In practice, you're going to be spending time procuring equipment, cabling it, figuring out what else you need to buy, debugging why the used equipment is buggy, etc... and you still may be limited in terms of number of devices and IOS version. But, sometimes people starting out are excited to touch something tangible. If it's going to motivate you and you have the coin, go for it. Many routes lead to the same certification. :)
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    i started out with 2 old Cisco routers. It was fine and all for basic intro into the Command Line Interface and basic settings on the router, basic settings on the switch.

But when it came to studying about STP, VTP, and all~ I thought simulators were much more practical.

Until... i started to find missing commands on the simulators.

The problem with simulators don't lie in what they can do. (in fact they can do a lot!) The problem that I bumped into, at CCNA level, is the few missing commands and features. When you try something and it doesn't work out, or you can't find stuff, you begin to doubt whether you are correct or wrong, or whether it's the simulator that's lacking. I hate second guessing.

Thus, I'm going to recommend GNS3 over Packet Tracer or similar simulators since GNS3 uses real Cisco IOS. (there are still some hardware limitations, but software-wise, all commands should be the same)

[Edit]

Forgot to mention, GNS3 doesn't support switches.

so... for entry level studies I recommend Packet Tracer.
    and... for on-budget but still powerful lab, GNS3 + physical switches
    unless... money is not an issue and you can build a full Cisco hardware lab =D
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ive been using packet tracer and its been great! been learning a lot. i highly recommend it
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I did all my labbing with Packet Tracer and real equipment. I preferred PT over actual equipment because with PT I could get on and do the lab, without all the other nuances of real hardware.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I do most of my 'labbing' in packet tracer.. GNS 3 just dont work right for me and getting my hands on IOS versions sometimes is a hassle (contracts n all) I was thinking about Boson for the NP Labs though... I honestly dont have the drive to 'build a lab' i'd rather just take some pre-defined scenarios and work them lol.. call me lazy :)
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In practice, you're going to be spending time procuring equipment, cabling it, figuring out what else you need to buy, debugging why the used equipment is buggy, etc... and you still may be limited in terms of number of devices and IOS version.
    Sounds like my day job. :)

I think the enthusiasm to actually dig in and buy real equipment and figure out the connectivity options is a good sign for future success personally.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm all for having real labs but once you get a hang of the physical side of things connecting cables, adding cards, etc the cli is all the same experience on gns3 or packet tracer. When I was studying for the ccna I powered my lab for hrs on in but til the tail end I started using packet tracer and gns3. Seemed like too much hassle to power everything on sweat my nuts off when I could just hop on my laptop and run a few quick scenarios on packet tracer.
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yep. Have to give big props to GNS3 along with everyone else.

For CCENT/CCNA Packet Tracer was great but going any deeper and you will start to notice certain commands aren't supported or things don't quite
    work the way they are supposed to.

As for GNS3 and switching, there are a ton of resources available on the Internet for simulating switches using the 3700 series router IOS with the NM-16 switch port. Makes an effective layer 3 switch (not to mention much cheaper than a Cat 3550).

I've been using GNS3 heavily the past few months working on 8.2 and 8.4 ASAs for the 642-618 exam. I wouldn't have been able to properly prepare without it.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I saw that the thread starter mentioned going onto the Cisco website and buying a router. Afraid you can't do that. You have to buy it from a third party. Also, IOS is only on their SMB and higher products. Buying new is very expensive. Look on Amazon or CDW for a Cisco 1941 ISR2 or a 2921 ISR2. Then you also have to pay license costs for specific features like security or voice. The best thing for actual hardware experience is buying second hand through eBay, Craig's List or a decent, reputable site.

Packet Tracer is an awesome simulator for CCNA. The quickest and easiest way to set up a working network and test concepts. But it does have some ridiculous bugs and there are commands it doesn't emulate.

GNS3 is great once you get over the learning curve and hardware requirements (if you use Windows).
    Thanks for all the input. I already ordered Boson Net Simulator but after the advice here I think I'll start out with packet tracer and switch to GNS3 for the more complicated stuff after I get packet tracer down. I can always switch to boson netsim as well. Just got finished with a 3.5 hour study session. Sure does feel rewarding after doing all that work to go through and realize what you have learned. icon_cool.gif
  • ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    I enjoyed and passed both of my test with Ciscopress Network simulator for CCNA. Now GNS3 is great better then any simulator but you need a ios download. Only way I found is to pull it off a router, or if you have a cisco access ID. Any other idears let me know because I'm trying to get it going for my ccna voice studies.
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    I know few people who downloaded images using 'IOSHunter'.. Dont it it really works.. Give it a try if you have time..