Host Computers

MallowGirl12MallowGirl12 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Host computers can access the Internet via various access media. Characterise the three dominant media categories and present examples where each would be used.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • MallowGirl12MallowGirl12 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Homework?

Hahaha revision past paper question , i've tried to research myself but not sure which type of access media they mean. When the answers come, it usually goes to the one about media for famous people like magazines, radio etc
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I assume they mean "Access Media" as in the Physical wiring and cabling. How does a computer "access" the network of computers, routers, switches and various other pieces of the checkerboard.

For example: Imagine a checker board...

slide00.jpg

The Pawns would be the "Host computer". King and Queen are Routers (Layer 3) and Switches (Layer 2/3). The checker board itself is what ties the pawns, king, queen,... together.

What is that checker board made out of? This is where I think the "Media" in your question comes into play.

The media for that game (network) of pawns, kings, queens would be cardboard, glass, crystal, wood. The media (Wood) itself has it's own rules, specifications and the such. But that is the ingredients or media for which the pawns fight the king and queen.

There's a few types of Media: Wireless (BlueTooth, RF signals) and Wired (Thin/Thicknet,Fiber Optics, Twisted Pair).

Edit: I don't play Chess or Checkers. fyi.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I assume they mean "Access Media" as in the Physical wiring and cabling. How does a computer "access" the network of computers, routers, switches and various other pieces of the checkerboard.

For example: Imagine a checker board...

slide00.jpg

The Pawns would be the "Host computer". King and Queen are Routers (Layer 3) and Switches (Layer 2/3). The checker board itself is what ties the pawns, king, queen,... together.

What is that checker board made out of? This is where I think the "Media" in your question comes into play.

The media for that game (network) of pawns, kings, queens would be cardboard, glass, crystal, wood. The media (Wood) itself has it's own rules, specifications and the such. But that is the ingredients or media for which the pawns fight the king and queen.

There's a few types of Media: Wireless (BlueTooth, RF signals) and Wired (Thin/Thicknet,Fiber Optics, Twisted Pair).

Edit: I don't play Chess or Checkers. fyi.

hahaha ok, thank you, i don't play them either :)
    Was it what you needed. I just took a stab in the dark and hoped it was.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

kind of , but i just mainly need to know the three dominent charactises of access media, i'm also finding for myself , but it comes to the same answer for now, will inform if i managed to find the answer too :)
    Was it what you needed. I just took a stab in the dark and hoped it was.

Maybe this is the answer??

Media Independent

The Network layer is also not burdened with the characteristics of the media on which packets will be transported. IPv4 and IPv6 operate independently of the media that carry the data at lower layers of the protocol stack. As shown in the figure, any individual IP packet can be communicated electrically over cable, as optical signals over fiber, or wirelessly as radio signals.

It is the responsibility of the OSI Data Link layer to take an IP packet and prepare it for transmission over the communications medium. This means that the transport of IP packets is not limited to any particular medium.

There is, however, one major characteristic of the media that the Network layer considers: the maximum size of PDU that each medium can transport. This characteristic is referred to as the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU). Part of the control communication between the Data Link layer and the Network layer is the establishment of a maximum size for the packet. The Data Link layer passes the MTU upward to the Network layer. The Network layer then determines how large to create the packets.

In some cases, an intermediary device - usually a router - will need to split up a packet when forwarding it from one media to a media with a smaller MTU. This process is called fragmenting the packet or fragmentation.
    It seems wonky when you apply your question to it:

Host computers can access the Internet via various access media. Characterise the three dominant media categories and present examples where each would be used.

What you were describing are the first three OSI layers. Physical, Datalink and Network. I wouldn't consider them "categories", as to me that implies on the same layer just different (Layer 1 - Physical).

Might be "Copper","Glass","Radio Waves"? That could be considered categories for the different types of wiring/wireless?

It seems wonky when you apply your question to it:

What you were describing are the first three OSI layers. Physical, Datalink and Network. I wouldn't consider them "categories", as to me that implies on the same layer just different (Layer 1 - Physical).

Might be "Copper","Glass","Radio Waves"? That could be considered categories for the different types of wiring/wireless?

heehee, Yeah could be, I can't seem to find any answer to this.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    802.11, fiber optic, POTS are example of access media (type of cabling)
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
    MrXpert wrote: »
    802.11, fiber optic, POTS are example of access media (type of cabling)

Thank you so much, a link for this please?? so i can read through myself as well :D Thank you once again
    Thank you so much, actually i will get the link myself heehee :D
    Heyyy guys , you all were right, I checked through my notes from the module, it definately says that media access control is a cable/wireless transmission :)