Options

Sun 310-014 [PASSED !]

lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm currently preparing for Sun Certified Solaris Admin (Version 9).

The first exam I have to take is 310-014. Has anybody done this and can give a review on this ? How would you rate its difficulty ?

Best regards,
Lordy
Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
Goal for 2014: RHCA
Goal for 2015: CCDP

Comments

• Options
    BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    I'd like to hear any comments anyone has on this as well. I've been noticing that many government/defense contractors are using Solaris, and while I'm still far off from vendor specific Linux certs, this is the field I hope to eventually be working in.
  • Options
    Ok, I scheduled this one for tomorrow afternoon.
    If anybody has any comments this is the right time to post them icon_wink.gif
    If not, just wish me luck. I will post a feedback once I get back from the test site.

Regards,
    Lordy
  • Options
    PASSED ! icon_smile.gif

I just came back from the testing center (Prometric) and I have nailed this one scoring 84%.

Here are some facts:
    - Time Limit: 105 minutes (1:45)
    - Questions: 57
    - Required Score: 64%

The test was pretty straight forward and reminded me of the LPI tests.

You should note, that the questions do not seem to be weighted differently although they have very different difficulty levels. Connecting seven 'format' options to their tasks will just be weighted as much as knowing that /etc/group holds group names and group id's. The testing engine will allow you to move forward and backward through questions at any time. The time limit should be no problem. I finished after 45 mins including rereading all questions and answers.

After preparing with the ExamCram 2 book (can't really recommend that one) and training with Boson and Transcender the test wasn't too hard. You should be warned though that Sun loves to ask about commando parameters...

So now on to 310-015 and the Sun Solaris 9 Cert icon_smile.gif

Best regards,
    Lordy
  • Options
    lsealslseals Member Posts: 240
    Congrats
    24 Hours in a day...24 Beers in a case...Coincidence?
  • Options
    BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    Great job Lordy. :)

How much experience do you have with Solaris and how much would you recommend before attempting the test?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Baredor wrote:
    How much experience do you have with Solaris and how much would you recommend before attempting the test?

I've been working with Solaris 2.6, 7 and 8 for about 3 years as a sysadmin at a telco. I must admit that I never really liked Solaris so I'm pretty much Linux focused.

If you are into UNIX/Linux this test isn't too hard. It doesn't feature things that aren't included in other BSDs/Linux Distros. I took about 2 weeks to prepare but only for about 1-2 hrs a day.

I would guess that the most diffilcult thing for people coming from other OSes is OpenBOOT (Sun BIOS) as this is only available on Sparc. You might want to buy a small old Sun to play around with this if you have never done so.

HTH,
    Lordy