Windows 7 and Ghost

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

I have a Windows 7 image syspreped (no answer file) and image taken with Ghost, obviously I rename during OOBE

Question is....Will I have any issues regarding my SID because I used Ghost

It was my understanding that a client SID is regenerated when you rename said client

Any info would be great

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    As soon as you start the new system, it will generate a new SID. Even if it didn't, you wouldn't have any problems. The SID only matters for domain controllers. There are many articles on the Internet discussing it, but I'm just speaking from my experience.
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    As far as I understand, as long as you have sysprepped the pc, it doesn't matter which method you use to clone your image.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you are using a tool, such as PGP for encryption, this can cause problems from what I've seen where it duplicates the SID on all cloned PC's. I haven't experienced it with Ghost yet, but that is because we haven't used that cloning software on our PGP encrypted computers. We've used CloneZilla in the past and that is where we ran into the issues, even if we sysprepped and generalized the image it would still give us that problem.
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote: »
    Hi

I have a Windows 7 image syspreped (no answer file) and image taken with Ghost, obviously I rename during OOBE

Question is....Will I have any issues regarding my SID because I used Ghost

It was my understanding that a client SID is regenerated when you rename said client

Any info would be great

Thanks

Lee

I used to do the same thing at my last job, ~2 years ago. Granted we were using an old version of Ghost, we had no problems with the SID when we sysprepped an image. We always maintained a non-prepped and a prepped version of the image so that updating an image was easy (don't want to sysprep an image that was already sysprepped). I am sure that using a new version of ghost will work just fine.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Just a small question, any reason why you didnt use WAIK? its so much more easier to make a image with it. Its a free download from MS
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    Just a small question, any reason why you didnt use WAIK? its so much more easier to make a image with it. Its a free download from MS

+1 for AIK for Windows 7. Excellent toool for setting up LTI which basically does everything from Windows Setup answers to actually installing the applications and Windows updates