So who has done this....?

AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm working away on my ccent listening to cbt nuggets and working with my lab, just really basic stuff like setting up users/passwords for telnet, basic configuring of my 1760 and loving every minute of it. I decide to try out my user name and password to make sure I have done this right, so i go to my computer start up cmd try to telnet in and get an unreachable message about 4 times. Check everything and try again. So I start pinging stuff, all fails. Now I'm getting pissed because I just upgraded all my IOS two days and didn't have a problem connecting to anything. So I re check all my connections AGAIN to make sure yes they are all good. So now I start searching the net find all kinds of things but nothing works. I now have this website open and have started typing my pissed off thread about what it could be, please help, etc etc. now mind you this has went on for about 5 hours now. I remember reading in a different thread someone saying think like an engineer, well that didn't work either.

So I have figured it out but by reading this can anyone tell me what I did? There is a moral to this story and I'll post that after someone figures out what I did.

edit - Oh and if you couldn't tell by my post I have no networking experience at all (besides setting up small home networks.LOL)
WGU - BS: IT Security...in progress

Comments

• MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Plugged in the wrong port?
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    My first thought is you didn't turn the router on.

And the moral is probably check the simple things first.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    Windows Firewall, Had the config register set wrong so it wipes out the config on a reboot?

Is there a prize for guessing it correctly?
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    AintRite wrote: »
    So I have figured it out but by reading this can anyone tell me what I did?
    Your mistake? You didn't use a simulator like Packet Tracer or an emulator like GNS3. :p

Ping fails? Could be anything--you forgot to save your configuration, you'd been fiddling with the configs, you'd been fiddling with the cables, you forgot to power it up, etc. The simple solution would usually be to connect to the console port to see what's wrong. A problem like this shouldn't really last more than 10-20 minutes if you tackle it in that manner.
  • AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was connected port and it should have taken 10 seconds for me to follow the ethernet cable to see that I had plugged in the wrong one into my router. I have always been very mechanically inclined and very quick to solve these type of problems and if I have learned ANYTHING in life it is KISS but for some reason here, I immediately went into thinking that this had to be a config problem. I figured since I was going to post on here asking for help, that I might as well post on here telling of my ignorance and shame myself a little bit. icon_lol.gif Right after I fixed it, my wife comes into the room after she hers using a few choice words and asks me what's the wrong. I tell her what was going on but not that I had fixed it and she looks at me and say, "Well did you check to make sure you had the right cord plugged in" I told her to "get out" hahahaha she turns around while walking out and says "Guess not, maybe I should be the one doing that". Ouch....well a lesson was learned at least.
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    AintRite wrote: »
    So I re check all my connections AGAIN to make sure yes they are all good.

If you had the cable plugged into the wrong port then how were all your connections good?

And since it was your wife that got you to check the cables then she is the one that fixed it. icon_lol.gif
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There you go...see...it was an OSI layer 1 problem! You'll get to that in your studies!
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    It's often the simple solution.

Like the guy said in Network Warrior: Layer 1 first!

Try troubleshooting in this order:
    1. What changed?
    2. Is it powered up?
    3. Is it connected?
    4. Other basic steps
    5. Don't be afraid to re-check 1-3.

When you get the chance, check out Network Warrior. A VERY good book for you to read post-CCNA.

Amazon.com: Network Warrior (9781449387860): Gary A. Donahue: Books
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    lantech wrote: »
    If you had the cable plugged into the wrong port then how were all your connections good?

And since it was your wife that got you to check the cables then she is the one that fixed it. icon_lol.gif
    I rechecked them on one end but no the other ( the other end was going to one of my lab PCs). I had just figured out what the problem was and was cussing at myself and she came in to see what I was cussing at. If she would have walked in 20 seconds earlier, it would have been her that figured it out. On her way out to work this morning she asks me if I had any other problems with my lab that she needed to figure out for me.hahahaha

I do have a question though why was ip int brief and ip route showing that nothing was wrong or was I looking in the wrong spot? They show exactly the same thing now (working) as it did when it wasn't working. This is what was throwing me off.
    instant000 wrote: »
    It's often the simple solution.

Like the guy said in Network Warrior: Layer 1 first!

Try troubleshooting in this order:
    1. What changed?
    2. Is it powered up?
    3. Is it connected?
    4. Other basic steps
    5. Don't be afraid to re-check 1-3.

When you get the chance, check out Network Warrior. A VERY good book for you to read post-CCNA.

Amazon.com: Network Warrior (9781449387860): Gary A. Donahue: Books
    I actually have it downloaded to my computer. I have 3 more CBTNuggets videos to watch then I'm going to start back to reading Odoms 3rd edition. I plan on reading Network Warrior as part of my studies for the ICDN 2.