Options

Activating the Variance Command

FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
Proabably a really easy question but i'm having trouble activating the unequal cost links after changing the variance command. I know they work because when I reload the router the two sucessors show up in the routing table, but until I restart it just sits there with sucessor and Feasible Sucessor.

I have searched for the answer but i'm having real dificulty finding a solid answer.

Just wondered if there was a quick way?

Or does the eigrp process have to be restarted and if so whats the easiest way to do it.

many thanks

Comments

• Options
    mochaaddictmochaaddict Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you tried "clear ip eigrp neighbors."
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Futura, did you ever resolve this one after what mochaaddict suggested? i am curious too as i encountered a similar issue today
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    @Futura / @MrXpert --
    I've got the CCNP Route Lab Manual (Cisco Press) and just did lab 2-2 (EIGRP Load Balancing) using real equipment. I ran the lab twice (and a portion of it a third time).

First attempt using 3 1721s with c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-4.XK4 IOS
    1) TCLSH failed to run ping script (step 2d)
    2) No automatic route table change once the variance command was issued (step 6e).

Second attempt using 1 2620 with c2600-i-mz.123-22 IOS as R1 in the lab and 2 2620xm with c2600-advipservicesk9-mz.124-25c IOS as R2 and R3.
    1) TCLSH failed to run ping script on the 2620. It ran successfully on the 2620xm's
    2) Route table immediately updated for unequal paths once the variance command was issued on R3.
    3) I reset path to 128 between R2 and R3, then changed the bandwidth on the link between R1 and R2 to 64. I ran the variance command on R1 (the 2620) and it immediately updated the routing table.

What IOS are you using that you didn't see an immediate route update?
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    Have you tried "clear ip eigrp neighbors."

Yes this worked a treat, sorry for the late reply, got sidetracked!

still interesting that on some IOS the variance works straight away,

currently using a 1760 with c1700-sv8y7-mz.122-15.T12.bin

I have a 1841 knocking around, will config that later and try again.