My road to CCNA

CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi I want to share my study routine in my journey in becoming a CCNA

My current status so far
1. I know basic rip, ospf, eigrp configurations (I did labbing on my vacation last 3 months for about 2-3weeks)
2. I'am a student, and on our university they offer ccna module 1-4, currently we are on the module 3 which is about switching

I just recently decided to specialized in ccna on that last 3 weeks of my vacation.

here is my study routine
1. Atleast finish reading 1 chapter each week on Todd Lammle CCNA study guide 7th edition(currently at chapter 2)
2. take notes after reading each chapter then reread again the chapter for full understanding

later on I will be watching cbtnuggets and INE videos (I've watched cbt nuggets video last vacation). I plan to lab when I got into the Routing protocols in the book.

I find my schooling as a hindrance in studying for my ccna exam. hehe I have a busy schedule because i'am a graduating student. my study hours for monday-saturday was below 5hrs icon_sad.gif and I have the whole sunday to review but sometimes I only study for about 2-5 hrs as I want to rest because of my hectic schedule for the whole week.

MY GOAL:
PASSED THE CCNA EXAM BEFORE 2013!!

Do you think I can nail the CCNA exam before 2013?

If you would rate my study routine I know it will be very low, would you mind suggesting an effective way?

PS: If you want to share a effective study routine please ignore my study hours, as I plan to try your suggestion on our term break :) and please specify your suggested hours on reading and labbing. I know it's too much but I really want to nail this one.

Comments

• Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck with getting the CCNA! I personally can't comment on the CCNA but there are others on here who can.
    Sharing your study plan is a good way to make it feel more real and should help you get motivated!
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I would watch CBT Nuggets before you read Lammle's book. They are good at introducing the concepts but don't really dive into the material.
  • CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck with getting the CCNA! I personally can't comment on the CCNA but there are others on here who can.
    Sharing your study plan is a good way to make it feel more real and should help you get motivated!

thank you :) Im planning to do some mind maps. I've googled it and the say it was effective.
    sratakhin wrote: »
    I would watch CBT Nuggets before you read Lammle's book. They are good at introducing the concepts but don't really dive into the material.

I've watched cbt's icnd1 and 2 except on NAT :)
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    CaptainL,

Your study method is very similar to mine. I will read a chapter, but then I watch the CBT video that coincides with the chapter I just read. I find that helps me understand things better in the chapter to hear someone explain it in layman terms.

As far as working CCNA study into your schedule just do what you can. Having 5 hours is better than none, but do not let the CCNA get in the way of you graduating. The CCNA will always be there.

I had a hiatus from my CCNA studies, and when I finally decided to crank back down and pass the exam I was only studying about 1.5 hours a day. Those long study sessions just are not for me. I do better with a little at a time.

Good luck!
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Looks like a good plan to me. Writing notes definitely helps, that was one of my study methods. If you are dedicated and get enough labbing in, you can pass before 2013. Are you going the 1 exam or 2 route?
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Vaibhav20 wrote: »
    How do we start a new thread..plz help me with this..

Click Here CCNA / CCENT Forums

And then up towards the top left click "Post new thread"
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
    CaptainL,

Your study method is very similar to mine. I will read a chapter, but then I watch the CBT video that coincides with the chapter I just read. I find that helps me understand things better in the chapter to hear someone explain it in layman terms.

As far as working CCNA study into your schedule just do what you can. Having 5 hours is better than none, but do not let the CCNA get in the way of you graduating. The CCNA will always be there.

I had a hiatus from my CCNA studies, and when I finally decided to crank back down and pass the exam I was only studying about 1.5 hours a day. Those long study sessions just are not for me. I do better with a little at a time.

Good luck!

thank you for sharing your study routine, I'll do that also from now on I will watch CBT nuggets after I read any chapter. :)
    zrockstar wrote: »
    Looks like a good plan to me. Writing notes definitely helps, that was one of my study methods. If you are dedicated and get enough labbing in, you can pass before 2013. Are you going the 1 exam or 2 route?

I'am taking the composite exam :)
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My two cents on studying slowly: It could hurt you in the end. Here is my reasoning -

From start to finish, it took me about nine months to achieve my CCNA; during which time I got a new job, moved across the country, got married, etc. I had plenty of distractions. Justifiable distractions, just like your reason for studying slowly is justifiable; however by the time I got to the 17th chapter of my CCNA book, chapters 1 - 4 were a distant memory. I ended up failing the exam twice before biting the bullet and re-reading most of the book in a short amount of time. If you're going to study slowly, IE one chapter per week, make sure you keep current with the earlier material.

Good luck!
    YFZblu wrote: »
    My two cents on studying slowly: It could hurt you in the end. Here is my reasoning -

From start to finish, it took me about nine months to achieve my CCNA; during which time I got a new job, moved across the country, got married, etc. I had plenty of distractions. Justifiable distractions, just like your reason for studying slowly is justifiable; however by the time I got to the 17th chapter of my CCNA book, chapters 1 - 4 were a distant memory. I ended up failing the exam twice before biting the bullet and re-reading most of the book in a short amount of time. If you're going to study slowly, IE one chapter per week, make sure you keep current with the earlier material.

Good luck!

yes I plan to reread the chapters before moving on to the another, atleast scan my notes :)

I now finished watching cbt nugget about OSI model and todd lammle book chapter 1, it was great I now finally understand what an OSI model is, not just merely knowing what those layers are, I'am now moving on the next chapter :)
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CaptainL wrote: »
    Iyes I plan to reread the chapters before moving on to the another, atleast scan my notes icon_smile.gif
    For scanning your notes to be a viable way to retain what you learned, you're going to need really good notes! I agree, with such a slow attempt, reviewing is going to be crucial.
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    sratakhin wrote: »

I will second that.. These 2 with some hands on should be enough.. Make sure you do enough practice for subnetting..
    All the best!
    Finished reading chapter 2 on todd lammle ccna study guide, going to watch now cbt nuggets related topic :)