Options

What would be the next course of action since my exam is on the 17th

TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
What would be the next course of action since my exam is on the 17th.....

Summary of results

Your score: 64% (159 of 250) questions.
Total time used: 2 hours 38 minutes 15 seconds (average 37 seconds per question).
Score distributed by domain: (some questions are in several domains)

70%
(39
of
56)
Access Control

60%
(47
of
78 )

Telecommunications and Network Security

85%
(11
of
13)
Information Security Governance and Risk Management

53%
(10
of
19)
Software Development Security

63%
(15
of
24)
Cryptography

62%
(18
of
29)
Security Architecture and Design

44%
(4
of
9)
Operations Security

60%
(12
of
20)
BCP and DRP

62%
(8
of
13)
Legal, Regulations, Investigations and Compliance

100%
(7
of
7)
Physical (Environmental) Security

Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I recall correctly from the FAQ, ISC2 doesn't publish the exam question weighting or the number of questions per domain.

Was this from a practice test that you took someplace?

My only suggestion is that perhaps you should focus on some of the weaker areas such Operations Security and Software Development Security.

If you are planning to take another practice test, my other suggestion is to take more time per question if you can. The CISSP questions tend to be structured so that there could be more than one right answer but there is always a "best" answer.

Good luck on the exam.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I wouldn't consider any CISSP assessment exam to be accurate unless it was published by the (ISC)2.

Study the domain topics that you understand the least, which are probably the ones you dislike the most.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider any CISSP assessment exam to be accurate unless it was published by the (ISC)2.

Study the domain topics that you understand the least, which are probably the ones you dislike the most.

The wording of the questions from CCure.org concerned me alot, I agree JD, I'm going to be reading the Official ISC CBK Book this week on my weak areas which are the ones I dislike the most, then I'm going to take another 250 questions this Saturday.....
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    If I recall correctly from the FAQ, ISC2 doesn't publish the exam question weighting or the number of questions per domain.

Was this from a practice test that you took someplace?

My only suggestion is that perhaps you should focus on some of the weaker areas such Operations Security and Software Development Security.

If you are planning to take another practice test, my other suggestion is to take more time per question if you can. The CISSP questions tend to be structured so that there could be more than one right answer but there is always a "best" answer.

Good luck on the exam.

This was from the CCure.org exam engine......
  • Options
    Commander JamesonCommander Jameson Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Focus on your three weakest domains; re-read the chapters in your books, retake practice tests and go over the questions you've got wrong and make sure you understand why you've got them wrong.
    Then in the last 48 hours, do a once over any summary notes you have and then try to relax in the last 24 hours.
  • Options
    LobLob Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll find within the domains that you get similar things wrong. From my prep exams, I focused on studying what I was getting wrong - I printed the questions and explanation to PDF and studied that.

Also do assess where your answer has been incorrect because you read the question wrong. This accounted for about 15% of my wrong answers - that's easy to eradicate.
  • Options
    I'll be reading SAD tonight and quiz afterwards in study mode also using some mnemonic's I created.....
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I have heard that the CCure tests can be harder than the actual exam. I wouldn't stress too hard about it. Instead, focus on the domains that you were weaker in AND that will be prevalent on the test. For example, pound and pound on governance, BCP, access control, crypto, and security architecture. Don't even bother wasting time with legal or software. Those questions are on the test but they'll be less of them than the other domains. At this point, it's a numbers game so hit the books hard on the domains that are more likely to have more questions on the test. You could easily pass if you know the top 5 domains like the back of your hand.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I have heard that the CCure tests can be harder than the actual exam. I wouldn't stress too hard about it. Instead, focus on the domains that you were weaker in AND that will be prevalent on the test. For example, pound and pound on governance, BCP, access control, crypto, and security architecture. Don't even bother wasting time with legal or software. Those questions are on the test but they'll be less of them than the other domains. At this point, it's a numbers game so hit the books hard on the domains that are more likely to have more questions on the test. You could easily pass if you know the top 5 domains like the back of your hand.

I'll be calling you this weekend busy woman :)
  • Options
    No problem. I should be around. I've been on vacation for the last week so I was avoiding my emails and phone calls but I'm back now :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    :) I been speaking with my buddy Kalkan which have helped alot, I think I'm getting bad test anxiety now......
  • Options
    In the worst case scenario, if you don't pass, could you go to a boot camp or talk your employer into paying for it? If you are willing to do so after this attempt, I'll hook you up with my instructors contact information. I found her class EXTREMELY informative and she has a great teaching personality. It'd cost you $2K for the class but it's DEFINITELY worth it in time and money spent
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    In the worst case scenario, if you don't pass, could you go to a boot camp or talk your employer into paying for it? If you are willing to do so after this attempt, I'll hook you up with my instructors contact information. I found her class EXTREMELY informative and she has a great teaching personality. It'd cost you $2K for the class but it's DEFINITELY worth it in time and money spent

I'll cross that bridge when that time comes, lol, but I will pass icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    I agree. You will pass. You have been studying this for far too long NOT to pass.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    LMAO, I hope we are both right, lol! I know my weak areas, if I can get rid of this anxiety, I'll be fine.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    In my experience the CCCure engine is great but you shouldn't base your readiness solely on it. People say that you need to get constant 90% on each test thats poppycock. I averaged 60-65% the week before the exam and passed. I will tell you right now there are very few questions on CCCure engine that are modeled after the test. The questions presented are really just facts about the facts, trivia. It is perfect for learning the individual concepts. On test day you will be presented with expertly crafted (read:tricky) questions that ask you to apply the concepts. Ergo if you know enough about each concept to either pick out the correct one or eliminate the wrong ones, you'll be in good shape.

Bottom line (again in my experience) : CCCure = Concepts. Test = application of concepts.
  • Options
    theenigmacodetheenigmacode Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my experience the CCCure engine is great but you shouldn't base your readiness solely on it. People say that you need to get constant 90% on each test thats poppycock. I averaged 60-65% the week before the exam and passed. I will tell you right now there are very few questions on CCCure engine that are modeled after the test. The questions presented are really just facts about the facts, trivia. It is perfect for learning the individual concepts. On test day you will be presented with expertly crafted (read:tricky) questions that ask you to apply the concepts. Ergo if you know enough about each concept to either pick out the correct one or eliminate the wrong ones, you'll be in good shape.

Bottom line (again in my experience) : CCCure = Concepts. Test = application of concepts.

I agree. I wouldn't rely totally on cccure questions. They are good for practice and understanding the concepts but I found some questions were out-of-date / not related to the topics. In the exam, you would find very few or no questions have direct answers. Give yourself more time during the exam and read the questions carefully.
  • Options
    My co-worker just looked at your reply and said he couldn't agree more, he couldn't get over 65% practice exams and past the CISSP the first time.
  • Options
    smashedpumpkinssmashedpumpkins Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the test just a few days ago and I wouldn't throw out software. Software and BCP/DRP were hit the hardest for me and probably made up 1/4th of my test. Of course it's different for everyone... When I took the SSCP I had a lot of Access Control questions.

As for cccure I believe I averaged around 65%-70%. The CISSP questions are all scenario based. In other words, you're never simply asked what something is. Each question describes a situation you may be in at work and what you need to resolve or prevent the issue. Also, you'll notice that you can almost always throw out two of the four answers. The last two often both seem like the correct answer. Make sure you read each answer to ensure you don't assume too quickly.

If you aren't using it already, buy a cheap edition of Shon Harris's CISSP book. Not to read it this close to your test, but to use the question bank in the CD. I studied with the 4th edition. The 5th edition is out but it's not missing much. Plus you can grab it for a couple dollars. In fact my main source of study material were some audio tapes of Shon Harris that must of been at least 10 years old. Win Server 2003 wasn't out when she recorded it. (I've taken other tests and classes though so it's not like I skipped all the recent material... I just needed a refresher)
    Half.com: CISSP All-in-One Exam Guide by Shon Harris (2007, Other / Other)(9780071497879): Shon Harris: Books
    Fortune favors the brave.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've read the Shon Harris Book twice already; I'm reading the ISC(2) Officiall CBK on my weak areas, and I'm going to read Eric Conrad starting Sunday. I'm doing about 100 questions a day. I took a break last night but I'll be finishing Security Architecture and Design today and quzzing tonight. The I'll jump on Telecommunications and Network Security tomorrow.
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Just out of curiosity, how much time did you spend testing the first go around? 2.5 hours seems like maybe you're rushing yourself a little bit (at least on the practice test). My thought being is that it's easy to miss a crucial detail if you're rushing to get done. In any event, good luck on your exam.
  • Options
    I agree, I did rush through it.....
  • Options
    ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    TBRAYS wrote: »
    I agree, I did rush through it.....

Be confident and take your time as you go through the exam. Do not let the scores on practice exams affect your confidence level, though. You will be OK.

Good Luck!
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.