CCIE Track

Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
What CCIE track did you pick and why?

Track Comparison - CCIE - Cisco Systems
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Since I primarily a route/switch guy my choice was pretty easy, although Wireless always has my interest icon_smile.gif
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    R&S is what got me into networking, and since it's kind of the basis for most of the other tracks, I think it's good to know .

That aside, I'm interested in pretty much all of them, which sucks, because they're just a littttle bit time consuming to attain.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I picked R&S because it's the foundational material, but Service Provider is more closely aligned with my work. And I have to admit that new Nexus track is very, very tempting!
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Voice, I was working R&S, but I really lost interest in perusing it as a IE track. I would like to do some more route/switch work, but I don't see myself doing the IE at that level unless I got Tired of Voice.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    I've always been interested in routing and switching, but my upcoming role will again shift more to an SP type role. I will probably start with R&S as it is the foundation of everything, and then go on to SP while everything is still fresh in my mind :) That would be the ideal, dream situation.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    R&S is the core foundation of all network communication. Build a solid foundation, and the building stands for a long time.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    R&S is the core foundation of all network communication. Build a solid foundation, and the building stands for a long time.

Agreed. If you obtain the R&S CCIE, it'll provide you with the fundamentals/backbone to pursue the other technologies like Security, Voice, etc.

I'm pursuing the R&S because at the core, my job in the military is to route and switch. The R&S is also the easiest of the tracks to obtain (relatively speaking) due to the amount of material (cert kit, videos, supplemental reading, practice tests, courses) and how easy it is to obtain the lab equipment.

Data Center, storage and wireless requires heavier investments. I'd say SP if the material were available would be the next logical step followed by Security, Voice, etc.
  • Options
    KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was going R/S but I lost interest after getting NP.. Ive been interested in Voice / Security but focusing on voice.. Too bad work doesnt see eye to eye with me on that one thou.
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    I chose the voice track ... Mostly for the glory and the women. Ladies love Voice CCIE's.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm shortly going to resume my attempt at CCIE R&S. After which I am not sure - depends what role I end up in.

I have around 2 years experience with CallManager and absolutely loved every minute of it. I just find telephony fascinating.

I'd probably take Voice as well.
  • Options
    vishaw1986vishaw1986 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will go for security , though I had made myself for the service provider but after getting into the security my interest changes to Security because it teaches you how to play :) ....
  • Options
    smith950smith950 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started IE R&S in 2003. Life got in the way. So now I'm back and ready to my number.