Options

Age for A+

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Forum!!

I'm just curious but what is usually the typical age to get A+? I know there is no minimum age and they recommend at least 13. Also the reason why i'm asking is because I'm taking my A+ second part and I'm in college working on my IT degree and getting this cert this summer and I'm wondering if I'm getting this cert to late, early or just the right time? Any opinions/thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It depends. Do you plan to spend time in the near future at a job where an A+ would help, such as repairing PCs and end-user systems? If so, you are getting it at the right point. If not, you are getting it at the wrong point. The A+ certification was never quite right for me.
  • Options
    uyen_nguyenuyen_nguyen Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A lot of cases graduate university at 12 or 13, so A+ at college is okay, not too late or too early
    English is my second language. My apology for my grammar errors.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    If you can justify the cert by getting a job, then it paid for itself already :D If not, oh well. What's your degree in?
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    instant000 wrote: »
    If you can justify the cert by getting a job, then it paid for itself already :D If not, oh well. What's your degree in?
    Information Technology (Network Administration)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends. Do you plan to spend time in the near future at a job where an A+ would help, such as repairing PCs and end-user systems? If so, you are getting it at the right point. If not, you are getting it at the wrong point. The A+ certification was never quite right for me.

I need an internship for my degree so I plan on getting an internship during the summer 2013 and if time permits possibly getting my network+ or CCENT before applying or internship because I have heard from multiple people that both of these exams are kinda similar in overall content but the CCENT has more command based with their routers/switches I believe the CCENT would make me stand out more then Network+ can you confirm/deny this rumor and would you agree or do Network+ then CCENT? (sorry for length)
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Network+ is geared toward someone who works on PCs and servers connected to a network. The CCENT is geared toward someone who works on routers and switches. Neither one is particularly command-heavy nor vendor-dependent. The minimum certification-level I've ever hired was a CCNA, and both of those are a level below that. Which is probably totally fine for an internship a year or two before graduating! I can't which one might be held generally in more esteem, sorry, but I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can answer that. :)