Options

Packet Tracer Problem

Tim147Tim147 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am from Malta and I am currently studying for my degree in Computer Networks. In a current module we started using Packet Tracer. I would like to know if you heard about any faults that it may have; such as an ACL will be set up on a router to deny packet but packets still pass through.

I would greatly appreciate a reply and thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Packet Tracer isn't perfect. It is a network simulator, so commands, actions, behavior have to be built into versus an emulator like GNS3 or IOU.

It could be possible that it's an unsupported command or not a properly developed behavior. Or it could be an ACL sequencing issue. You'd have to provide more info.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Packet tracer has its limitations. It's good for ccna level but many ccnp level commands do not function.
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    I think GNS3 is the the best option (at least for route exam) after real equipments for CCNP leave studies..
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tim147 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am from Malta and I am currently studying for my degree in Computer Networks. In a current module we started using Packet Tracer. I would like to know if you heard about any faults that it may have; such as an ACL will be set up on a router to deny packet but packets still pass through.

I would greatly appreciate a reply and thank you in advance.

I have never encountered any issues using PT with ACLs but that does not mean errors can still occur.
    What type of packets are you trying to permit/deny, where are you applying the ACL and is it an extended or standard?
    Are you getting hits on the ACL?
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.