Is Shon Harris overkill?

the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
So its down to the wire. Only 2 weeks until I take the exam for the first time. I just recieved my course material for my official ISC2 course, and this is what they sent me. The "Official ISC2 Guide to the CISSP CBK (Second Edition)" from ISC2 press. Up until now, I've been working with all Shon Harris material. Her all-in-one guide, her practice tests book, and her audio lectures. But now that I've started looking over this official ISC2 guide, I'm wondering if Shon Harris is serious overkill. Either one of two things is true here. Either the official ISC2 book does not adequately prepare you for the exam (this seems unlikely to me) or the Shon Harris All-In-One book covers WAY WAY WAY more material than is necessary. So two questions for those that have taken the test...

Is Shon Harris' all-in-one guide overkill?

Does this Official ISC2 Guide adequately prepare you for the exam?

Comments

• ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Either the official ISC2 book does not adequately prepare you for the exam (this seems unlikely to me) or the Shon Harris All-In-One book covers WAY WAY WAY more material than is necessary.

Is Shon Harris' all-in-one guide overkill?

Does this Official ISC2 Guide adequately prepare you for the exam?

Ditto! I believe you already have an answer for both of your questions ;) In any event, based on my experience, I would not rely on just (1) source.
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • LobLob Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did a course, 5 full days. This helped me cherry-pick terms and concepts that you absolutely must know.

I did practice exams. Invaluable. I learned to read questions and learned where I was strong and where I was weak.

My daily business is Information Security and that helped a lot too.

I have two copies of Shon's book and have read neither cover-to-cover.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I attended an ISC(2) authorized bootcamp, and felt that the official courseware was adequate. I had no prior studying..BUT- probably 70% of the class there had read Shon Harris' book either in full or partially..so I think it's still worth a look.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The mileage anyone gets from any CISSP study resource depends on the knowledge and understanding the individual already has about the topics of the CISSP CBK. No one is a master of all ten domains; a simplified study resource, like AIO, can greatly help in introducing topics that are unfamiliar to CISSP candidates. For domains in which a candidate has more expertise, the information in the OIG is usually a better fit.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Wait a minute did you get the official review seminar handbook?

Look let me put it this way without being too specific.

That guide is a gold mine when it comes to test time. ;)icon_cheers.gificon_study.gif

Know everything that's in that book like the back of your hand.
    Otherwise I personally didn't use the shon book but I did watch the shon crypto and legal dvds which were very effective in my opinion. The CISSP gold guide is also useful.
  • forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    I would still recommend reading Shon Harris' book at least once. She has a way of talking, talking, and talking some more about every domain, but you'll probably find that the exam contents have a similar tone. I took the CISSP some years ago and her book really helped funnel ideas and concepts into a management's perspective required to pass the exam. The book is heavy, yeah, but if it's one of your sources you won't have to read every word. I think you could probably read the whole thing in 3-4 days.
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The AIO is a good book, but it is a bit long winded for me. And you have two weeks until D-Day? Well hopefully you've been working through that book already because I'm not sure you can do so with that time frame and get the maximum out of it unless you have a lot of time to read icon_thumright.gif I think a good book to use for the last two weeks is the 11th hour study guide by Conrad in conjunction with test banks of either the book or software variety. By now, it should be more about enforcing what you know vs. learning something new. How/what have you been studying thus far?
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    spicy ahi wrote: »
    And you have two weeks until D-Day? By now, it should be more about enforcing what you know vs. learning something new. How/what have you been studying thus far?

I've been studying for this thing for about 2 years (on and off). I have already gone through and outlined the entire Shon Harris AIO. Also gone through all the audio lectures while driving back and forth from Houston to San Antonio. At this point I really am just reinforcing. Plus this official guide can easily be read cover to cover in two weeks. I finished reviewing the first domain in the book (access controls is one of the bigger domains too) in about two hours. I'm hoping to read the whole thing through before Monday, August 20th, when I start my bootcamp.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I wouldn't say Shon Harris is overkill for the CISSP exam. She just tries to explain the same things in a long winded fashion which helps other people understand better, but I'd personally take the CBK any day of the week. I like my materials more direct.

Now if you want to see OVERKILL for the CISSP exam, check out this 3200 page, 4 volume, 227 chapter beast: Amazon.com: Information Security Management Handbook, 6th Edition (Isc2 Press) 4 vol set (9780849374951): Harold F. Tipton, Micki Krause: Books
    Realistically though, it's overkill for the exam but it'd be an AWESOME reference for the real world. I'm making one of my friends buy it for me for my birthday (I'm the big 3-0 tomorrow)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @the_hutch - it sounds like you are pretty well prepared for the exam. Good luck. Your question reminded me that I have an older edition of Shon's book so I thumbed through some of it and I have to admit that the material seems very well written. I personally didnt use it as part of my own study for the CISSP. But if you have time, it couldnt hurt to use it as a extra source.

@Iristheangel - Happy Biirthday.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I was a little biased against the AIO mainly because all the complaints I read about Shon's style, dry jokes and verbosity. To my surprise such verbosity so far has helped me clarify many concepts that both Conrad and the OIG just scratched the surface. This is one of those tests were over-preparing won't hurt. If you have the time, throw as many resources as you can. I'm planning on taking the test in December/January so I'm slowly going trough the 3 books I mentioned.
    Good luck on the test, Cyberguypr. I have some sample questions and study notes I can email you when you get closer. Just let me know
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Thanks a lot. Will do.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I wouldn't say Shon Harris is overkill for the CISSP exam. She just tries to explain the same things in a long winded fashion which helps other people understand better, but I'd personally take the CBK any day of the week. I like my materials more direct.

Now if you want to see OVERKILL for the CISSP exam, check out this 3200 page, 4 volume, 227 chapter beast: Amazon.com: Information Security Management Handbook, 6th Edition (Isc2 Press) 4 vol set (9780849374951): Harold F. Tipton, Micki Krause: Books
    Realistically though, it's overkill for the exam but it'd be an AWESOME reference for the real world. I'm making one of my friends buy it for me for my birthday (I'm the big 3-0 tomorrow)

That looks like an awesome resource, and printed by ISC2 press, so should be pretty solid. And they have it for the Kindle :D. Happy birthday. For just hitting 30, you've obviously accomplished a ton, so congrats on the big 3-0 milestone. You mentioned some extra sample questions you have for preparing for the test...any chance that I could get them from you?
    Shoot me an e-mail @ gmail, The_Hutch
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • ppypo123ppypo123 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can you guys please share the sample questions and study notes for the CISSP ?
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□

Did you ever get that book, Iris?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I have an article on .NET security in ISMH Volume 4. Despite the vellum pages, it not something you'd want to drop on your foot. It's far more usable as a searchable PDF.
    I did not get that book. I probably will for reference one of these days but I already have a list of about 10 (CCNP, CCNP:Security, etc) books to read this year so it won't be on my schedule for awhile
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe that book is available on books 24x7, which a lot of employers offer their IT employees.
  • hoccnikihoccniki Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed CISSP.

Well...... seems that AIO is totally irrelevant to my exam........ a lot of unfamiliar theories come up in my exam and I think AIO just cover around 2/3 of them. Mine was kinda ITIL ........ if I was not having experience in ITIL consulting+incident handling, I dun think I will even pass .............
    Advanced degree attained: MA Management, MA Anthropology
    Working on: Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) - part 3, Fellow, Life Management Institute (FLMI)
    2018 target: CEH
  • harrym1harrym1 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hoccniki,

Please explain more about your ITIL experience and how it helped you.
    Thanks.
  • ASecureASecure Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Iris,

I have emailed you for a reply as per your convenience.

Regards.
  • rokayarokaya Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hii could you please help .. i am planning to take my cissp exam next month and i heard about cccure .. do i take it from cccure.org ??