8 Days and counting to the CISSP CBT

TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
Alright, I posted earlier in the week and received awesome feedback, I'm in the process of reading on my weak areas per the results of ccure.org test engine. I'm now scoring between 76% - 79% and the items I'm missing are stupid stuff that I should've known. I'm also creating CISSP mnemonics, to help me along the way while taking the actual exam. I will take another 250 question exam on Saturday, starting Sunday thru Thursday should I read Eric Conrad 11th hour or read the The Official (ISC)2 Review Seminar Book?
Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida

Comments

• spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally, I went through the Conrad book because it's a nice, concise book that you can go through in a week. Of course, I referenced back to the ISC2 guide book to flesh out the weak spots so really I used both. If you're confident in the domains you're "good" at, then it might be safe at this point to go through the isc2 guide and concentrate on your weak domains. If you're not confident in the domains you're "good" at, i'd go with the 11th hour/guide book as I mentioned above.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    Yeah I read the Eric Conrad last year, its a good read but he missed somethings that were on the exam but thats why we use more than one source, lol.
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Try CISSP for Dummies. I heard that was really good too. You can access it through Skillsoft online
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Try CISSP for Dummies. I heard that was really good too. You can access it through Skillsoft online

Yeah I have it already, you name it, I have it! Iristheangel how would you rate the Review Seminar Book?
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It was alright as a good quick study guide. It went even better when the seminar but it should help you out in the last three day cram before the test if you just review it.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    As I mentioned in another thread and practically every thread read the seminar book is gold. It is very helpful wrt test objectives. Not too shallow, not too deep.
  • LobLob Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP, I think you're bang on track for passing the exam (touch wood).

Do the exam sets and make a note of the topics you're getting wrong because of gaps. As you do the exams, write down the key words from the question you're reading - this will get rid of some of the silly mistakes you make.

This is what I did with the time remaining you have.

My final revision the night before was to skim the slides from my course. That I can remember got me 2 answers right that I might have had a gap for had I not spent 4 hours blazing through the slides.

HTH and good luck.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I'm waiting my turn on the CISSP For Dummies from the library. i just checked my reservation online and i'm still 3rd. i was 7th when i reserved it 2 weeks ago, so hopefully it will be available before I take my test. I'm down to 29 days remaining. I'm still feeling WAY underprepared (i'm still getting only an averag of 65 - 75% on the practice questions in the OIG end of chapters.

What sorts of things are you using mnemonic devices for OP?
    I'm waiting my turn on the CISSP For Dummies from the library. i just checked my reservation online and i'm still 3rd. i was 7th when i reserved it 2 weeks ago, so hopefully it will be available before I take my test. I'm down to 29 days remaining. I'm still feeling WAY underprepared (i'm still getting only an averag of 65 - 75% on the practice questions in the OIG end of chapters.

What sorts of things are you using mnemonic devices for OP?

Just being creative so that I can remember things more easily when taking the exam
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    TBRAYS wrote: »
    Just being creative so that I can remember things more easily when taking the exam

Well I assumed that, I was actually curious what the devices were exactly so perhaps I could use them as well. =)
    Well I assumed that, I was actually curious what the devices were exactly so perhaps I could use them as well. =)

www.mindcert.com, this is where I got the idea from......
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TBRays,

I remember reading your 'just missed' posts around the time I was studying for the CISSP too. No worries man, you will defeat it. Be the security manager...

We've got a lot of the same certs so I think we both prefer to think in technical specifics rather than general, broad strategic concepts ISC2 loves.

You've got the CISSP's number...plus you won't have to wait the 30 painful days just to find out you passed.

Good luck!
    dover wrote: »
    TBRays,

I remember reading your 'just missed' posts around the time I was studying for the CISSP too. No worries man, you will defeat it. Be the security manager...

We've got a lot of the same certs so I think we both prefer to think in technical specifics rather than general, broad strategic concepts ISC2 loves.

You've got the CISSP's number...plus you won't have to wait the 30 painful days just to find out you passed.

Good luck!

Thanks man, I haven't studied like this since grade school, I've read Shon Harris's Book, Official ISC(2) CBK, I've done over 30 quizzes and I'm currently reading CISSP for Dummies and ISC(2) Review Seminar; just the top 5 domains. I'm feeling confident this go around.
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    TBRAYS wrote: »
    I'm now scoring between 76% - 79% and the items I'm missing are stupid stuff that I should've known.

You might want to look at this from another angle - rather than study the actual questions and answers that you missed, perhaps you could find a pattern in the reasons that those questions were missed. There are many good test-taking tips that can help. Did you succumb to distractors? Did you read the question too fast and jump to conclusions? Did you use the process of elimination? I think you get the idea . . . focus on WHY you missed the question . . . I think you have the study material down.
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    You might want to look at this from another angle - rather than study the actual questions and answers that you missed, perhaps you could find a pattern in the reasons that those questions were missed. There are many good test-taking tips that can help. Did you succumb to distractors? Did you read the question too fast and jump to conclusions? Did you use the process of elimination? I think you get the idea . . . focus on WHY you missed the question . . . I think you have the study material down.

For some reason I'm getting all the questions correct when I test at the end for the Official ISC(2) CBK Review Seminar because the questions are clear in structure, at least to me. CCCure questions confuse me not to the point that I don't understand but like someone speaking a foreign language to me and I'm asking them to repeat themselves cause I don't understand. My Achilles heal is Kerberos, I keep getting tripped up on it.
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    Ok I just looked over the seminar questions again and they are pretty good wrt test representation however keep in mind that they won't be provided to you like that in section format where that chunk of questions is the same (obviously, but it bears repeating). I would say the questions on the test are maybe 30% harder than those (yes I know I pulled that number from thin air). It's tough to say. They're kinda the same but not really. The ones on the test are very challenging but nothing you can't handle. Honestly if you've gone through the book then you will be successful, that's how well laid out it is in my opinion.