Attn Gamers: Blizzard hacked.

chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
It appears Blizzard was hacked, link here:
Blizzard hacked, warns users to change passwords | ZDNet

Comments

• Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    "Despite the possibility that the authenticator's security may have been undermined, the company is not immediately revoking mobile authenticators as, even if they are flawed, they are an additional security measure and, by themselves, cannot be used to compromise customer accounts.

Blizzard is currently working to deploy new authenticator software, however, it has no timeframe for when this will be made available."

Ahh...No worries...Blizzard's authenticators can save the day!
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    noooo not my starcraft 2 account :)
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't played a Blizzard game since Diablo 2.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Meh.

Good thing I stopped caring about playing Diablo 3.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought it was funny that the gaming community was freaking out about their imaginary gold and stuff but most are unaware of security breaches for banks that hold their mortgage.
    FDIC insures 100k for the banks that are apart of it. I wouldn't be worried as much as I don't have anywhere close to 100k, or 10k. Atleast, I think FDIC insures 100k.

There's a lot of time, and a lot of 'work' that goes into characters. Imagine if you will, call of duty, you've garnered the last prestiage level and it gets stolen from you.

I know that in world of warcraft I farmed up the Baron's mount doing nothing but solo scarlet crusade runs. That took all day, for about a week straight. Then again, I have 2 rank 14 characters which took months of endless kililng per character.

I would care if someone hacked my account. All that time I spent and then to have it violated with someone who couldn't care less. I guess it's like me and cars - once it's in a wreck, no matter how small, it just doesn't feel the same. I loose any emotional ties for the vehicle at that point.

But it's true, there's so many security breakins that it's not really a surprise to hear. Its just surprising that they didn't take methods to encrypt the information. I would think it could be encrypted so it wouldn't be in plain text.

Security breaches will happen - whether news worthy or swept under the carpet. I'm just surprised it hasn't happened earlier.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I thought it was funny that the gaming community was freaking out about their imaginary gold and stuff but most are unaware of security breaches for banks that hold their mortgage.

I don't think people are worried about gold per se, but time invested into something just for it to be gone.
    Another thing to think, information stolen in the hack "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the attackers were able to access email addresses, answers to security questions, "cryptographically scrambled versions of passwords". [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Blizzard also has the option for people to use Real ID. So an attacker could of obtained your real name, e-mail, a potential password, security questions and answers. All of these can be used to hack other accounts tied to the user.[/FONT]
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    FYI - Gold and Items can be sold for real money in the Real Money Auction house on Diablo 3.

I've made a couple hundred bucks selling gold/items. I'm not a total nerd either, some of my friends have 5-10 times the amount I did. They would not be happy if their account got hacked.
    If somebody compromises my bank account depending on when it happens I can be in a world of hurt. If I get wiped out lets say during a holiday a restore of my funds can take a bit. I have other sources of money but not all do. I get the "time" invested but identity theft especially can take way more time to fix than my wow account.
  • thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It appears that the answers to individuals secret questions were also compromised. An attacker with an individuals email address, password, and answers to their secret questions is in a good position to do even more damage.
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Then again, I have 2 rank 14 characters which took months of endless kililng per character.

Took you months? You can get to rank 14 in about 2-3 hours...lol?
    The problem is the Chinese gold farmers and the black market...

And sites like raiditem.com, which make tons of cash off illegal WoW purchases.

Buy WoW Items,Buy WoW Gears,WoW Item,WoW Items,WoW Gear,WoW Gears,WoW BOE Item,World of Warcraft Items,WoW Raid Drops
    PvP rank 14. Grand Marshal/High Warlord. Vanilla world of warcraft. It took 3/4 Weeks for the last two ranks of being #1/2 on the server. Urgh. I took naps between battlegrounds.

I don't know what it's like now. I haven't played wow since... outlands?

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    why i use a prepaid visa card for all online transactions
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    There are a handful of people who donate their earnings to various charities. (providing screenshots as proof of course.)

And then there's a guy who made $10,000 selling stuff.....
    I've made $10,000+ legitimately from the D3 market. AMAA : Diablo

WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    $10,000 in 3 months from online gaming...got to love that! I have not played D3 yet, but heard about the real money option. I am sure there are people out there who make their living from WoW and D3 gold farming, hacking and botting.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    $10,000 in 3 months from online gaming...got to love that! I have not played D3 yet, but heard about the real money option. I am sure there are people out there who make their living from WoW and D3 gold farming, hacking and botting.

I would suggest not quitting your day job. Haha. There is a ton of luck that goes into that (besides the obvious time/skill).
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    PvP rank 14. Grand Marshal/High Warlord. Vanilla world of warcraft. It took 3/4 Weeks for the last two ranks of being #1/2 on the server. Urgh. I took naps between battlegrounds.

I don't know what it's like now. I haven't played wow since... outlands?

They got rid of the "pvp with a bedpan under your chair" right before Burning Crusade. I remember those days, there was a lot of "account sitting" especially in my guild helping people get rank.
    Yeah, I remember a few of those that I was competing against. I had to yield for a few hours of sleep though. It was enough to knock me off the ranks. Worst game mechanic ... besides rubber banding in racing games (The Run)

I have the pride to say - Im the only one to touch my account. I think. It's probably been wiped clean by now though :P