Some of your favorite software tools?

4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
I'm always looking for new tools to try out. My newest favorite is inSSIDer. It gives you an "in depth" view of all wireless networks detected by your computer. I used it the other day to find a rogue WAP in our office. It's very "lightweight" and scans for signal strength in real-time.
Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Comments

• LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Desktop Support side of things here:

I have found Hiren's Boot Disk to be very useful.

For clean up, rkill, combofix, and MWBs are my go to choices.

What's the story behind the WAP?
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Given the poor showing on the latest TE poll here - http://www.techexams.net/forums/lpi-rhce-sair/80311-vi-emacs.html

I feel the need to share that one of my favourite software tools is emacs icon_lol.gif

@4_lom - is there a particular class of tool that you are interested in?
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UltraMon. Cause without it, I'd be lost in a sea of windows, and tabs with windows.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @paul78: You gotta accept the defeat! :p In that case, vi is my favorite tool.

Seriously though, I'm gonna cast my vote on Wireshark. This is the best tool yet! It amazed me when I was finally able to capture HDLC/PPP packets on the WAN interfaces in GNS3 so I can verify the IPSec communications. I can't think of a way this could be done in real life.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Lampton wrote: »
    Desktop Support side of things here:

I have found Hiren's Boot Disk to be very useful.

For clean up, rkill, combofix, and MWBs are my go to choices.

What's the story behind the WAP?

Well, we had a rather old Cisco WAP that was malfunctioning and basically causing a DOS attack on our network. After we found out it was the WAP, I completely unplugged it from the network. Also unplugged the power. So this WAP was completely shut down. Half hour later, I find out that users are still connecting to the wireless network. I was in complete shock, because the only WAP we had designated in the office was sitting on my desk, next to me, lifeless. So I'm thinking the only other possible thing is that someone bridged another WAP with the one I just decommissioned, and it's still accepting traffic. So me and a coworker fired up out laptops, walked around the office with scanners, and found that one of the developers had put a wireless router in their cubicle (without permission)....

So that was a fun 4 hours of my day icon_rolleyes.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

paul78 wrote: »
    Given the poor showing on the latest TE poll here - http://www.techexams.net/forums/lpi-rhce-sair/80311-vi-emacs.html

I feel the need to share that one of my favourite software tools is emacs icon_lol.gif

@4_lom - is there a particular class of tool that you are interested in?

Nothing in particular, I just like learning about new obscure tools that haven't really gone mainstream yet icon_cool.gif

Just to let all of you know... I hoard tools like they're silver bars or something icon_lol.gif I have a 32GB thumb drive and it's nearly full... never know when I'm going to need one of them, so I just carry them all with me icon_wink.gif

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm a big fan of Auslogics Disk Defragger and Glary Utilities.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • chininochinino Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will add Angry IP Scanner, and, of course, Google...nothing better than searching for answers :)
    My 2014 Goals:

MCSA Windows Server 2012: 70-410 [ ] 70-411 [ ] 70-412 [ ]
    VMware Certified Associate-Data Center Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    CompTIA Storage+: SGO-001 [ ]
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    These are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head.......

Sysinternals!

UBCD w/Ghost

Ccleaner

HWINFO32 & 64