Should I buy this AS2511-RJ?

mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
Hey guys

Deals are hard to come by in my corner of the world.. So, I'm really tempted to jump at this opportunity. There's an AS2511-RJ for sale for approx. $175 USD (converted)

However, the sh ver posted by the seller is missing the "1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)" line

I'm worried that there might be something wrong with that interface.

If i recall correctly, AUI interfaces still show up as ethernet interfaces on "show version", right?

What do you guys think? Should I just buy it and figure it out later? I mean, can I just access the 2511 via console and then console into the rest of my lab if ethernet interface is really botched?
1 Serial network interface(s)
16 terminal line(s)
Any comment appreciated =D thanks!
Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
Future: CCNP, CCIE

Comments

• mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Apologies for bumping.

To be honest, there's another access server available.

a Cisco 2509. 8 ram/8 flash

Unlike the 2511, this one's sh ver lists
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

cisco AS2509-RJ (68030) processor (revision K) with 6144K/2048K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 28910046, with hardware revision 00000000
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 Serial network interface(s)
    8 terminal line(s)
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

If you had to choose between one of the two, which would you get?

2509 for $100 USD
    2511 for $175 USD
  • TBev0TBev0 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    With regards to the Cisco 2511-RJ, i have one of these (you can check it out here: homecomputerlab » Cisco 2511-RJ remote access terminal server) and when i run show ver the ethernet interface does show up, however i do have the 'BL50R' module plugged in. My guess is that the interface does not show up when the module is not plugged in. I'd ask the seller the question if the BL50R transiever is included in the auction, if not maybe you can pick one up cheaply on ebay? I went for the 2511RJ as i didnt want to be limited by 8 access ports on my terminal server switch as my lab grew, so depending on how many devices you plan to be plugging into your remote access server should detemine which model you need.
    Hey TBev0, thanks so much for your reply!

Can I ask for a favor? If you have time, can you test this out? Unplug the 'BL50R' and try sh ver to see if ethernet interface still shows up. My experience with 2514 router tells me that it should still be on sh ver regardless of whether it's plugged in or not.
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i have an as2509-rj i did not think i would need an 11; i was wrong, my as2509-rj is full, i have 5 routers and 6 switch's. do the 11,
    can't you use baidu.com. to find cisco gear?

digi 32 looks nice, i have not read any reports of how well interface as an access server for our cisco racks and gns3.
    Thanks inscom

I just bought the Cisco AS 2511 RJ from ruten.com.tw (our local "ebay")

I've been considering these Access Servers:

- Cisco 2509 & 2511
    - Cisco AS2509-RJ & AS2511-RJ
    - Cisco NM-16A or NM-32A modules
    - Digi CM 16 or 32

I'm really interested in learning cable management, and would like for my home lab to be impeccable =p haha. That's why I'm not so fond of the octal cables needed if I were to use 2509/2511/NM-16A etc... Those cables are... quite bulky and ugly in my opinion =D

Digi CM's aren't available in my neck of the woods, unfortunately.

Having more Cisco branded gear is always good for my ego too, so....

It comes down to the AS2509-RJ or the AS2511-RJ. They have individual RJ-45 ports! = neat cable management!

The price difference between the two was about $100 usd for 8 ports vs $160 usd for 16 ports.

Thus, hopefully I'll be the proud owner of an AS2511-RJ in the near future =)

that's all from me, thanks for your patience!