Facebook via command line

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
Not a Facebook uber-freak but find this really cool: Use Facebook From The Command Line With fbcmd ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i should do that for the kids ...

"back in my day we all posted like this and liked it"

and/or install a bbs system
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    +1 Awesome post!
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Speaking of BBS, here is one that I installed (I might also stick it on my Raspberry Pi if I get bored):
    bbs100 distribution page
    ^^that looks cool ... right now i run a irc server for me and my friends i may add that in
  • zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I miss BBS systems. There was a slight barrier to entry so you couldn't be a complete moron and get connected (well.. mostly). Plus they were local so you could meet people with similar interests in your area. Now it's all chatroulette and such.

*shakes fist at passing cloud*
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    (sigh...)

I miss those BBS days...I really miss fidonet and I miss running my own BBS.

I do not miss running up a $1000+ phone bill....my dad wanted to kill me. LOL.

Edit: back then, you really needed to work your way around a PC...and have true knowledge that exceeded A+ requirements. Now, grandma buys grandson a PC and grandson wants to work in IT....(as is evidenced by the many posts I read here....)
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is pretty cool.

In other news, I was one of those kids ERP. I got into computers as the BBS days were ending. My dad bought a Packard Bell PC, and I put it together, and thought I had really "built" something...lol. A few weeks later I saw the movie "Hackers" and thought that it would be cool to do that. After I finally got on the internet some years later, and started doing research, I found out how computers really worked, and that I was lucky I didn't do anything stupid with the glimmer of knowledge I had gained. I will say that this initial spark of research started me down the correct path though...
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is sweet. I'm gonna try it out this week.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was addicted to BBS in the mid 90's, then I got addicted to MUDS and MUSH. I should have learned back then I have an addictive personality but I thought "what else can come along?" I then started playing Wow in 2004.
    for me it was irc and eveonline ... now if i suck to learning linux like i was with my redbox ,.... yea hindsight is 20/20
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ah the good old days. My first BBS experience was in the military in Japan. The computer club had an 8 line BBS, and since it was military lines, anyone in the country could call base to base as if it was a local call. MajorBBS was run, but also remember PCBoard, TBBS, SuperBBS, and a myriad of other programs.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I have very fond memories of the the BBS days. Was a Renegade Alpha Op, until I turned traitor and joined the resurgent Telegard Beta team. My love was Fido and Fido-compatible networks, and that laid the foundation for my networking career, as alot of the concepts involved in routing Fido mail across long distances directly translated to the network world in the 90's.

And door games. My god, the amount of time I spent playing Door Games... L.O.R.D, Planets T.E.O.S, Usurper, Global Wars, TradeWars 2002, and that piece of crap called Exitilus which was virtually guaranteed to corrupt it's database so you had to start all over, but you just couldn't stop playing it anyway....
    psst webmaster ... ya know what would be cool ... setting up a bbs (or irc) that uses our screen names
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    As far as the app, cool and all, looks like someone either got *very* involved with figuring out how to work Facebooks POST/GET commands, or decided to start playing with it's REST api hehe
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You Nerds.

I'm so proud of this forum. Makes me feel right at home. icon_biggrin.gif
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

for me it was irc and eveonline ... now if i suck to learning linux like i was with my redbox ,.... yea hindsight is 20/20

Haha, did you say redbox? I remember that device. Don't ask me how. :D Mercury switches and quartz crystals....
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
    micro tape recorder for me and tone dialer ... sadly i still have it
    I can't believe the old tone dialer modification instruction site is still there after all these years!!
  • zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh my God, Trade Wars! Trade Wars, you guys. For real. And the door games in general. There was one called Swords of Chaos that was super fun too..

Man all the memories are flooding back.

Any DragonRealms nerds here by any chance? Ha.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lots of old people love going on in here...next thread you'll be talking about the best oxygen tank systems for your hover-rounds!

Just kidding..
    i switched from o2 to no2 ... my life has never been so funny