case scenario demonstrating the importance of backing up data?

PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
does anyone have any reputable sources where the importance of backing up your data was demonstrated? (e.g. company closed down because they failed to adhere to basic backup procedures or maybe researcher lost 1 years of work etc. )

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Are you putting together a business case for a backup solution? Trying to understand your objective so I can suggest some resources. Here's a couple to get you going.

- Impact on U.S. Small Business of Natural & Man-Made Disasters
    - The Cost of Lost Data - Graziadio Business Review
    - Cost of Data Recovery Services and Data Disasters
  • PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yup. that's pretty much what I am doing. Thanks for those resources. :D
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Puffy wrote: »
    does anyone have any reputable sources where the importance of backing up your data was demonstrated? (e.g. company closed down because they failed to adhere to basic backup procedures or maybe researcher lost 1 years of work etc. )

Pixar. Many moons ago, they nearly lost Toy Story 2's data due to faulty backup procedures and processes. You can look it up online.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My final year disitation at university. 8 months writing a 25,000 word report on Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies.

Only for my PC to crash 2 weeks before it had to be handed in...

This was back in 1996 before I was a computer geek and due to the fact it contained photos and media did not fit on a 3.5 inch floppy. so no back up and a very costly computer repair bill and no access to the document, or my research material over a week. Left me with about 3 days to complete the last 2 chapters and proof read before I handed it in...

Lesson learnt, If you have a CD writer in your PC that cost you £200, then rather than use it just for copying Music cd's for your mate. It a good idea to back up you University work to ;)

After I left Uni I went to work in a large Science Institute. We had a number of cases of uses saving there data, and customer data Locally to there machines. Which then crashed, in most cases this was simply placing the hard drive in another PC and getting the data back.

But in one case it was the hard drive its self the failed, the data was not some thing that could be replicated, covering years of work and thousands records from clients. In this case the disks were sent to a speclist recover company and for the cost of a small car the recovered all the data for us. If they had not been able to (Disks physically damged), it would have cost the company many £100K's and been a huge dent in the company's image.

You are not going to find info about many of these things though as company's who scrap through generally do not like to advertise the facts :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • PuffyPuffy Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pixar. Many moons ago, they nearly lost Toy Story 2's data due to faulty backup procedures and processes. You can look it up online.
    Hmm this is interesting. Thanks.

DevilWAH wrote: »
    You are not going to find info about many of these things though as company's who scrap through generally do not like to advertise the facts
    hahah. Good point. Didn't find any in Google so I taught I could find some sources here.