Opinion on new tablet..

synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
Hey. I cracked the screen on my motorola xoom tablet so I'm trying to decide on what tablet I want to buy. I already have an ipad so I don't want another one of those. I am trying to decide between an android and windows 7 or 8 tablet. I really like the android OS more so than apples tablets. I've been hearing a lot about the new Microsoft Surface tablet that's coming out soon. Have any of you had an opportunity to use one? I was also thinking about the Galaxy Nexus 7 tablet. I'm having a hard time deciding on which one to get to I was hoping for some input. Price doesn't matter so much I don't mind spending upwards of 600 dollars or more on a tablet because I use one all the time and it's easier to carry around with me to work and what not. Anyway, thanks for the input.
Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.

Comments

• sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Why don't you just install a new screen?
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    7 inch tablets are very mobile and perfect for small couch surfing and reading. I havent really found a purpose for my iPad. I think its to big, honestly i just let the guests and kids throw it around and play games on it.

The nexus 7 is awesome, i had my time playing with it. Hell of a lot better than a kindle fire, which i own. The kindle fire however fits my needs perfectly, its great for internet, emails, messaging, and reading books. Honestly i wanted to get a nexus 7 but why really? what am i going to do with extra power on a 7 inch tablet? im not going to rock diablo 3 or any high intensive gaming on it. I am not going to do video or photoshop editing, there is no purpose to doing that stuff on a 7 inch tablet. I love having my entire eLibrary within 7 inches, the reading on the device is perfect. 10inch tablets i just dont have any use for them when ultra books are all over the place.

Hope this helps.

oh by the way a new ipad 7 inch is coming out and the new kindle fire's are also coming out. I would wait for those 2 to come out and compare all 3 including the nexus 7.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    Cool I'll do that. I just like having the bigger screen but having something more portable makes sense but that microsoft tablet looks pretty sweet. I also have a kindle fire for all my ebooks almost all of which are in .pdf format. For 200 bucks the kindle fire is a great deal. You can do much more than read ebooks on it not to mention you can root the device to get more 3rd party apps on it. I mainly just use the kindle for my ebooks. As far replacing the screen on my moto tablet I considered that but I'd rather just buy a new tablet. The new motorola tablet looks pretty nice as well but if I get another tablet that size it'll probably be the motorola surface. Samsung makes some pretty nice products I have the new galaxy nexus 4glte phone from verizon and it rocks. I like it a lot more than my droid razr.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    7 inch tablets are very mobile and perfect for small couch surfing and reading. I havent really found a purpose for my iPad. I think its to big, honestly i just let the guests and kids throw it around and play games on it.
    Heh that matches my experience exactly. My iPad 2, which was a gift, is pretty only used by my family, mainly for Facetime with relatives abroad. The iPad 2 was my first tablet but it was just too big and heavy to really use it for reading, which is the primary use for me. I picked up a Acer A100 on Black Friday and never looked back.

So far I've resisted the urge to get the Nexus 7. Compared to the A100, it has a much better screen, better CPU/graphics (Tegra 3 versus 2) better battery life, weighs less, uses a standard USB charger, and is a "Nexus" model so it should get the best Android support (frequent updates, etc.). The main thing holding me back is no SD card slot... 8GB is too limiting and I don't want to pay $50 extra for the 16GB model. If the 16GB goes under $200 on Black Friday I would probably buy it.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    you could use

Amazon.com: Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter: Cell Phones & Accessories

when you wanna move around files and who in IT doesnt keep a thumbdrive on their keychain
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    If you already have a tablet, why would you not consider buying an ultrabook this time?
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just bought a Nexus 7 and really like it. I'm not a tablet power user and it certainly fits the bill. Very fast and responsive. Great as an e-book reader.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Velocity Cruz Micro has the T408 that I'm really enamored with; you might find it for only about $130.

I would wait on Surface until a few folks on here actually have them in their hands. I'm thinking M$ has overhyped it so they can cut Apple's sales.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a Nexus 7, it is nice but honestly I don't do much with it except e-books and surf the web. I have an iPad 2 also and like the 7 inch size of the Nexus for leisure stuff but still end up using the iPad more. Biggest reason is the app store is much larger with professionally done apps that actually take advantage of the tablet screen. I use Flipboard a lot on my phone but the developers don't plan on supporting Android tablets so it is "ok" on my Nexus 7 but the fonts are kind of big and the UI is just a big phone app, where as on my iPad it fits several articles on one page and has a more "magazine" feel to it.

If you get a chance check out the iOS app store it's has a huge advantage over Android in over all app selection. It is more the mainstream commercialized apps. I tried the NBC Olympics app for iOS and it worked great, Android seems like it got some last minute development, it hardly worked for me and when I checked the comments I saw the same issues.

If you end up getting the Nexus 7, load the Kindle App stay away from Google Play books. No highlighting or note taking, it has been a constant request for seems like a year now.

Children's apps is again where iOS has a giant advantage. That is why my son uses my iPad more than I do basically. He has a few kids folders with Sesame Street and Disney educational apps. Android has none of that or really low quality home brewed stuff.

Games again iOS gets all the attention, I have a few folders I have gathered for the past couple of years. But if you look at sales charts for apps this is where iOS makes a ton of money so naturally developers will flock. I think I have bought maybe 5 games in two years Android side? That includes my phones.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Heh that matches my experience exactly. My iPad 2, which was a gift, is pretty only used by my family, mainly for Facetime with relatives abroad. The iPad 2 was my first tablet but it was just too big and heavy to really use it for reading, which is the primary use for me. I picked up a Acer A100 on Black Friday and never looked back.

So far I've resisted the urge to get the Nexus 7. Compared to the A100, it has a much better screen, better CPU/graphics (Tegra 3 versus 2) better battery life, weighs less, uses a standard USB charger, and is a "Nexus" model so it should get the best Android support (frequent updates, etc.). The main thing holding me back is no SD card slot... 8GB is too limiting and I don't want to pay $50 extra for the 16GB model. If the 16GB goes under $200 on Black Friday I would probably buy it.

Yeah the Nexus 7 is really nice, if its your first 7inch tablet i would get it if you absolutely had to get it right now. If not i would wait for the new kindle fires and the ipad 7 inch to come out and then compare all 3.

As for the ipad , i just dont know what to do with it, when i can just use my macbook retina. Its just as thick as the ipad but with 10 times the power. I dont get when people buy a keyboard for their 10inch tablets either. Just buy an ultrabook and call it a day.

For the Microsoft Surface, i would consider that more of a laptop than a tablet in my opinion. If i had a MS tablet i would not buy a laptop or ultrabook, there is no point other than to play games on laptop i guess.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • LamptonLampton Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a Nexus 7. It's pretty great for leisure surfing, emails, and Google Voice. Solid device at a good price point.
    Currently studying for: Microsoft 70-640

Using: CBT Nuggets, 70-640 Training Kit 2nd edition, & Transcender Practice Tests.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Wait for the Surface. ;)

I'll probably get the RT (ARM) version for my wife, and a Pro for myself.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    Wait for the Surface. ;)

I'll probably get the RT (ARM) version for my wife, and a Pro for myself.

+1 for the Surface as well.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    we have yet to see pricing on the surface
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    The Surface is a lie

that came to mind because I saw something about Half Life 3 at Gamescom.
  • Moe 0101Moe 0101 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I picked up a nook tablet which was on sale a few weeks back I like it.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone tried the lenovo thinkpad tablet.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the lenovo thinkpad tablet.
    I got to try one out at work to give my opinion on integrating it into our environment (we use all Lenovo desktops/laptops). It was horrible IMO. Just a "me too" tablet. The magnet that holds the tablet in place to use as a laptop fails if it's not on a completely flat surface. Asus did the same thing better with their transformer where the tablet actually snaps into the keyboard. It's also not aesthetically pleasing design wise. It's not particularly heavy, but it just feels big and bulky when you hold it. Not a fan at all.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looked cool in the online review but I'll scratch that one on my list. Thanks Zartan
  • gtom84gtom84 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »

How is reading PDF file (tech document) on 7" screen. Can you comfortly read it without a need to constantly zoom in/zoom out? Can you read a PDF in vertical mode with a whole page fit to screen?

Currently I have Amazon Kindle and its great for ebooks but I have to read all my PDFs in landscape mode. I've checked some video-reviews but everyone just showing how fast a tablet can scroll and zoom in/out but noone focus on page/text size and how comfort a reading is.
    Reading pdf files on a 7inch is "tolerable" at best. I prefer reading ebooks on it. The 10 inch is best for PDF files especially tech pdf files or instruction manuals due to pictures/graphics.