You CAN subnet (encouragement)

zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
This isn't any sort of subnetting advice, because that's covered plenty on the forums (subnetting made easy is my friend). I just want to encourage people who are struggling with it, because I did like crazy.

I'm really math phobic. Subnetting tripped me up over and over when trying to learn it, to the point that I finally just read the rest of the book/study material and came back to it last hoping I'd try and figure it out. There were times when I was sure I couldn't do it. But eventually something clicked and I'm getting good at it, hoping to take the test soon.

So, yeah, there's no real point to this, other than if people are struggling with subnetting I figured I'd tell you that it is possible and you will get it. I'd have trouble explaining my methods, and there are better resources out there to learn from. But double down on it, don't give up, don't get discouraged, and you'll get there.

Comments

• synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    There are tons of stuff online on the subject. I would suggest Wendell Odoms CCENT/CCNA Exam Cert. Guide 2nd edition. It has 8 videos on subnetting and shows examples on basic classful subnetting. The more in depth information is in the book. I have some subnetting material I'll go through what I have and post something for the users. I'm pretty sure I have something that is open source and free to the public.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go to subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online. Keep answering questions until you get 20 right. Do it every night until your test day.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I tried several methods before I found one that worked for me. I tried Chris Bryant, Jermey Ciaora and finally settled on the Todd Lammle method in his ICND1 book. My suggestion is to try all of the methods out there until you find the method that works best for you because once you've got it, you've really got it and everything falls into place.

Oh, and practice practice and more practice! Success is the product of continual effort.