Options

whats next

demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
as most of yall know im about done with wgu but im not sure what the next step should be

my choices are:

masters at wgu (or similar)

RHCE

CISSP

im not really sure what i should do next ive done info sec for a long time so i think i should stay in that area and it does interest me

i know i dont wanna go the cisco or microsoft route (i think ms is on its way out)
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    well if you can do the masters i'd say that since you're already in the WGU studying mode and then its something you won't have to worry about later on. certifications are always updating so its not like you can't do it later and if you wait a little bit then there is a chance that it test/prep materials will be more up to date. but that is my opinion
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hmm. RHCE?

...what wrong with Cisco, Bro? >.>

come-bro-10.jpg
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One thing I wonder even though WGU is regionally accredited if hr will think less of your MS from there compared too a candidate with a masters from a BM school or a BM school that offers distance learning.

I know many people seen success with the BS from wgu but haven't really found anything online about anyone mentioning that they got the management promotion or what have you with a MS from WGU.

I'm just looking for that one success story that'll push me to get my Masters from WGU after I obtain my BS from them since its so economical compared to other online schools. I think from the stuff I read about the MS program at WGU its no pushover in comparison to other schools. I don't think It'd be less of an education but I'm done ranting for now..

You really think MS is on its way out?
  • Options
    i just dislike the type of jobs that cisco offers around here its mostly setup and leave type work with lots of travel
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @demonfurbie: I had no idea you're already in the infosec area. What do you do exactly? Have you thought about taking the CISSP as it would be more relevant to your position? Do you also have a RHCSA? If not, then RHCSA is the next step before you can even consider taking the RHCE. It's a prerequisite.

dmarcisco wrote: »
    I know many people seen success with the BS from wgu but haven't really found anything online about anyone mentioning that they got the management promotion or what have you with a MS from WGU.

WGU is only 15 years old, and I think most of the students who graduated from the MS program aren't members of this forum. There are more factors. Maybe those who graduated aren't experienced enough to step into a managerial position yet. I hope to see more inputs here in 10 years.
  • Options
    i work on the legal side of work doing lots of court/paper work/explaining the stuff that the "experts" give them

one upside i see to any masters (thats from a decent school) is that it would not expire

ive thought of CISSP but the maintenance on it seams a bit extreme
  • Options
    Well I didn't really mean specifically step into managerial positions but if having a MS from WGU helped someone get the job or was good enough to fill the check box for HR. Hopefully, more user input will be available in 1-2 years time. I would like to get my M.S. from WGU its great opportunity without going back into dept even if takes me a year or 2 to complete. I won't have to worry about 30-50k of debt afterwards.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    My last Director of IT.

He was a Sys Admin at the business- got his BS from WGU. Then got his MBA from WGU and was promoted to Director of IT once he got his Master's. He has since been promoted to a sister company as VP of Supply Chain Management.

Granted, just because he had the MBA wasn't the only reason he became the director. He was at another level- he is sharp. Worked extremely hard. The degree was simply a check mark.

There is one success story of Masters from WGU.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    it would be mostly an HR check block, ive looked around at mid-range jobs and a fair bit say masters preferred which we all know is HR talk for have a masters or a crapload of exp./high end certs
  • Options
    My last Director of IT.

He was a Sys Admin at the business- got his BS from WGU. Then got his MBA from WGU and was promoted to Director of IT once he got his Master's. He has since been promoted to a sister company as VP of Supply Chain Management.

Granted, just because he had the MBA wasn't the only reason he became the director. He was at another level- he is sharp. Worked extremely hard. The degree was simply a check mark.

There is one success story of Masters from WGU.

Thats good enough for me!