Options

NOC Tech -- Your Daily Routine

2»

Comments

• Options
    someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gadav478 wrote: »
    This has got to be the one of the best threads on this site for individuals trying to get into networking.

+1 OP

Thanks, just need something to look forward to.. makes me wanna crank up the studying
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My first networking job was at a NOC. Dealt with circuits, routers (full access), switches (full access), Symbol/Motorola APs, CUCME/CUCM (read only access on CUCM), Checkpoint Firewall (read only access), VSAT, and etc.

- Check email and reply to the ones that needed an answer
    - Check Remedy and work on the next ticket in the queue
    - Answer phone calls from field techs that needed help in troubleshooting network issues, third party vendors (Visa, Mastercard, GreenDot, and a lot more), and/or techs from SPs (Sprint, AT&T, Qwest, Cincinatti Bell, Windstream, Paetec/McLeod, and etc.).

Several months after I left the group to join the engineering side, they started getting more experience in Fortinet UTMs and Cisco wireless. Now, unfortunately, that group will be outsourced.

For certs - My previous manager gave me an impression that I needed CCNA. Though, before I even approached him I was already enrolled in a community college for CCNA. Upon joining the team, I found out that there were some people that didn't have CCNA and some new hires didn't have it either. The ones that didn't have it had some connection within the group or another group that is pretty close with the manager.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    No NSOC people here? Am I the only one who looks at IDS/IPS/IDP alarms and log files and tries to find "bad actors" both inside and out?
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    What is ur usual work day like as a NOC Tech?

Is this job achievable with only A+/Network+ certs?

Check tickets queue
    Grab tickets
    Fix the different problems from switches, ip phone, routers, make changes on the firewall rules, deploy L3 3750 switches for a project, deploy server farm 6500 switch, deploy ap, make changes in wcs, change apc unit, change the batter of apc, make changes at dhcp server, troubleshoot different kinds of technologies and etc.

There's more if I dont remember them all.

Per certs, that would depend on the hiring manager and network engineer/interviewer.