Options

Tips for CCNP Switch exam?

astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all, I'm finally ready to take the CCNP Switch exam in a couple of weeks and just wanted some advice any of you may have towards final preparation. I'm getting nervious because I'm bombing the Chapter quizes from the CCNP FLG book. I was reading through Amazon reviews with a lot of people saying many of the answers are incorrect anyway - which is what I suspect as a lot of the answers I swore were right were marked something else, but it makes it hard for me to get an idea of how ready I really am.

So far I've been using CBT Nuggets in addition to the FLG book, I also took a CCNP Academy course earlier in the year but I don't think I got much out of it - the teacher barely seemed to understand the concepts, I think it was his first time teaching CCNP material. This will be the first CCNP exam I will take, I feel more comfortable with switching so I want to do this one before the Route exam.

I also have four 3550 switches at home I've been using, though I haven't really found any decent labs I thought were very challenging. Most of the time I just poke around following commands from the book to understand things I don't yet already know, but I think I definitely should be doing more labbing than I have been.

I'd love to hear about advice for any reading material, or some good labs would be awesome! I'm not looking for any ****, but some decent practice questions would be helpful!

Comments

• Options
    Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is a pretty decent lab book - it is for the old CCNP but most of it is relevant.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/75316-ccnp-free-lab-workbook-ine.html

Nate
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    IMO, poking around is not enough to understand the material on the SWITCH exam. I would double down on your understanding of the underlying processes of how switching technically works, not just what the command syntax is (topics like spanning tree, high availability, etc). If you're bombing the Chapter quizzes from the FLG, then you'll definitely have trouble with the actual test...it's a beast.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    I failed the exam 3 x before passing it.

My first attempt was just to see how it is

My 2nd and 3rd attempt I was missing 1 or 3 questions to pass it, I complained heavily to Cisco on some of the grammar they had on the new CCNP exams/version, and they kept giving me free retake.

It's been almost 2 years I hope Cisco already fixed this exam, if not you'll fail it, it was just designed for you to fail.

I didn't really liked FLG I red the whole book it's way too much information that goes very in depth if I remember correctly.

Once you complete CCNP switch you're basically 50 % done with CCNP, as the route is easy.

My advise is check INE for different perspective on Switch.
  • Options
    Here is a pretty decent lab book - it is for the old CCNP but most of it is relevant.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/75316-ccnp-free-lab-workbook-ine.html

Nate
    Thanks, those look pretty good...reconfiguring my server/lab as we speak to run those :)

Does anybody recommend good practice exams so I can get a better idea of where I'm at and what I need help with? I'm considering buying the Boson practice exam for $100, I haven't used any of their material before but have heard good things about them so I might give it a shot. Anyone know of any other good resources?
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    definately not an exam I am looking forward to *gulp*

• Options
    poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    Yah.. I failed today with a 726.

On a positive note.. I crammed like mad the night before and for about 4 hours today.. And felt I was not really prepared at all..

To come that close despite not really giving it too much effort actually feels pretty good. I am gonna buckle down for about two weeks whilst on the road for week and try it again..

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • Options
    Jason0352Jason0352 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be able to look at 1st hop redundancy output and know what all of it means. This test had alot of questions where I thought there could be more than 1 answer but only required one.
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll give you a tip that you can use on any and all certifications...download the exam blueprint from Cisco and study every item on it. When you can define and explain each piece without consulting a book or **** sheet then you are ready for the exam. Cisco is just as notorious as any other when it comes to ambiguity in the questions; however, if you really know your subject matter you can easily cross three of the five or two of the four answers off without much thought. That leaves two other answers where both look right, but one is more right. Remember, the point of studying for and passing these exams is to learn, not get a piece of paper.
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    Next time I take a Cisco exam I'll request a special case 30 minutes extension, english is not my native language.

In addition there's just not enough time for the switch exam I think when I took it, most of the topic discussed here you never use or if you use it once in a blue moon, so you gotta lab it hard it makes it much easier.
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    What is everyone labbing with?
  • Options
    Jason0352Jason0352 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used 3 3750's from work, but you can get by with 3550's - just without private vlan capabilities.
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    astrogeek wrote: »
    I'm considering buying the Boson practice exam for $100, I haven't used any of their material before but have heard good things about them so I might give it a shot. Anyone know of any other good resources?

I highly recommend the Boson exams, they are extremely helpful for last minute preparation and getting used to the exam questions.

People fail Cisco exams usually because they haven't put enough work in. Those who have pointed to the blueprint are right. You can't just "wing" these exams. Buy the text book (FLG/OCG) and read it thoroughly while taking notes. Lab all the way through (The SWITCH/ROUTE Lab Manuals are great) then do a full review of your notes and more lab sessions. It's going to take time and effort.

I think if you manage to pass a Cisco exam without having put the work in you are devaluing the certification so think about your IT colleagues and put the work in!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • Options
    wave wrote: »
    Buy the text book (FLG/OCG) and read it thoroughly while taking notes. Lab all the way through (The SWITCH/ROUTE Lab Manuals are great) then do a full review of your notes and more lab sessions. It's going to take time and effort.
    I've been doing exactly that, what made me be a bit over confident is that as I've been reading the book I feel like I already understand most of the concepts. But some of the practice questions I've taken have reminded me of Cisco's damn tricky way of asking questions lol.
    This is really great stuff! I spent all day yesterday working on this and it is leaps and bounds better than the crappy lab book from Cisco. Seriously, that lab book is more like CCNA material, but the INE stuff is really good - kinda pissed I paid $40 for the Cisco labs when INE's is free, but, it happens! The best part is that I designed my lab based on INE's topology so all of the interfaces already match up. I just turn on my switches, load up GNS3 on my server and I'm good to go.

Does INE have a newer updated workbook out for CCNP? I think I'm okay with the free one for switching, but I wouldn't mind buying an updated one for routing if they have it.
  • Options
    Jason0352 wrote: »
    I used 3 3750's from work, but you can get by with 3550's - just without private vlan capabilities.

Get a 3560 so you can grow with it, their cheaper nowadays.
  • Options
    Any idea on which lab book is better?

Micronics free lab book
    INE free lab book

Both are older but still useful, the Cisco official lab book is too small.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    @astrogeek - No the workbook is still from the old BCMSN days. I just logged into my account to look.
  • Options
    kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    Jason0352 wrote: »
    This test had alot of questions where I thought there could be more than 1 answer but only required one.

That is what Cisco is famous for.
    What I am working on
    CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Best tip is to just suck it up and study.. lol
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey all, I'm finally ready to take the CCNP Switch exam in a couple of weeks and just wanted some advice any of you may have towards final preparation. I'm getting nervious because I'm bombing the Chapter quizes from the CCNP FLG book. I was reading through Amazon reviews with a lot of people saying many of the answers are incorrect anyway - which is what I suspect as a lot of the answers I swore were right were marked something else, but it makes it hard for me to get an idea of how ready I really am.
    There should be no question in your mind whether you were right or wrong. "Their answer looks wrong and I heard they had wrong answers in the book so I must be right" is a cop out and excuse. Do further research into whether or not their answer was wrong. It's usually just a few googles away. I've found that most of the time I thought the answer was wrong, it was really me that was wrong because of a misunderstanding of the technology.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been doing exactly that, what made me be a bit over confident is that as I've been reading the book I feel like I already understand most of the concepts. But some of the practice questions I've taken have reminded me of Cisco's damn tricky way of asking questions lol.
    99% of the time, the questions were only tricky because you didn't know the answer. If you understood the technology better it won't be so tricky. Skimming through the book and thinking you got it is a good way to get stuck with a lot of "tricky" questions.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    99% of the time, the questions were only tricky because you didn't know the answer. If you understood the technology better it won't be so tricky. Skimming through the book and thinking you got it is a good way to get stuck with a lot of "tricky" questions.

So what is your advice? What study materials that I haven't already mentioned should I use?