Challenging an exam question?

arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
Have any of you ever challenged a question on an exam? If so, what was the end result? Just curious, as I'm (impatiently) waiting on Microsoft to research a challenge I issued about two weeks ago.
[size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
What's left: Graduation![/size]

Comments

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Will that challenge make the difference between passing and failing an exam or is it of academic interest only?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Asked and still waiting, but it was Cisco. The MS questions that I've been asked have been correct.
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    Will that challenge make the difference between passing and failing an exam or is it of academic interest only?

It might make a difference, I had a 681 but MS doesn't reveal their convoluted scoring method so I could either have been very close to passing or very far off. In my case, I had two questions that were almost exactly alike (not enough difference to change the answer) and one had the correct answer but the other was on completely different subject matter.
    I heard back from Microsoft a short while ago, and they've removed the errant question and republished it. And they've given me a voucher code for my troubles.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice!..
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Awesome man. Good luck on the next go!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Moe 0101Moe 0101 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is great news! With them removing that question did you pass the exam? I did not even know you could report your concerns on test questions like that. I have heard you can ask for a recount on paper based exams.
    Moe 0101 wrote: »
    That is great news! With them removing that question did you pass the exam? I did not even know you could report your concerns on test questions like that. I have heard you can ask for a recount on paper based exams.

Nah, they didn't give me a pass. I can understand that though, because from their point of view there's no guarantee that if I had a different question that I would've answered it right. I'm just happy to not be forking out another $150. :)
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seems fair all round in that case.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I challenged Cisco over an exam question and was successful. I received a refund. I told them "don't do it again"icon_cheers.gif
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I give feedback sometimes. I put something really sarcastic on the CHFI that said something like "A few of these questions are so vague I am dying to know the answer".
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    arwes wrote: »
    I heard back from Microsoft a short while ago, and they've removed the errant question and republished it. And they've given me a voucher code for my troubles.

Microsoft say they can take up to 4-6 weeks to respond to exam item challenges, I take it yours took around 3 weeks? Just curious, as I'm waiting for one myself :)
    Microsoft say they can take up to 4-6 weeks to respond to exam item challenges, I take it yours took around 3 weeks? Just curious, as I'm waiting for one myself :)

Yep, they forwarded my challenge to the appropriate department on 8/1, and responded that they fixed the issue on 8/20 so just about 3 weeks.