Options

TCP/IP Vol 1 - Edition 1 and 2 Differences

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
Is there a major difference in the editions that I could justify for the second edition?

I noticed that Jeff added Jennifer as a co-author.
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I haven't read the 1st edition, but according to the notes in the 2nd one some legacy stuff like IGRP have been removed, and the new edition was expanded with more IPv6 details as well some new CLI commands.
    This is really a great book and must have for every network engineer so it's worth every peny for it. I wouldn't risk it and would just order the 2nd edition without hesitation as it will serve you well for many years to come.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Yeah it's one of those books that every person interested in networking should own. The technology stuff there never really gets old and routing will always be routing in the end.

Great read, and I definitely recommend the 2nd edition as well. I don't own the 1st one, but I wouldn't get it just to save a few $s.

Regards,
    Fin
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've heard the first edition is better written. But I've only glanced at each.
  • Options
    EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    I've heard the first edition is better written. But I've only glanced at each.

Is that the case with Doyle's TCP/IP, or are you perhaps confusing it with TCP/IP Illustrated (Stevens)?
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Eildor wrote: »
    Is that the case with Doyle's TCP/IP, or are you perhaps confusing it with TCP/IP Illustrated (Stevens)?

You're right. I was having a brain fart and not thinking. Please ignore what I said and get the latest volume.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Alright. Done deal. Thank you, everyone. Your input and insight is appreciated as always!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    what's the exact book you all are talking about? I looked on Amazon, but only saw one from 2005? Is that the one?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    what's the exact book you all are talking about? I looked on Amazon, but only saw one from 2005? Is that the one?

There is a 1998 first edition.