Options

CTP+ anyone?

anyone have this cert? pros/cons?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't have this cert but need to get it before the end of the year for school and its retiring!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    hmm, I didn't know it was retiring
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□

Exam retirement
    Dec. 31, 2012

CompTIA CTP+ Certification
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    hmmm, thanks, I may have to bail on this then....
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I actually bought a new study guide for it today before reading this! Well, I'll return it and get a refund. Can't prepare for it by December 31. Haven't paid for the exam...no point. What will replace it? Any equivalent exam out there?
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's a good cert to have. I have the 2012 edition of the CompTIA CTP+ study guide by Tom Carpenter (has the DVD, cd, etc) with it. I browsed through it and the objectives...I could probably pass this by 12/31 if I begin studying tomorrow AND reschedule Project+ (which I am supposed to take on December 6...but it's not being retired and I know the Heldman book inside and out....rescheduling it to study full time for CTP+ is certainly doable for me (I'm pretty disciplined for self-study test prep since getting a Ph.D was, oh, a million times harder for me than any comptia exam...I would bet).

Anybody think trying this is a good idea? Not worried about the price of the exam. For those that have taken it....is it a worthy goal to try (again, rescheduling project+ in lieu of attempting CTP+ isn't silly since project+ isn't going anywhere)? Any idea what will take it's place? CompTIA must have a reason for retiring it.

Hmmm, let me know folks...worth my trying?
  • Options
    MWJNMWJN Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All

Took the exam

Failed and was extremely disappointed with the exam

The practise exams with the book do not give an accurate feel for the exam

The exam questions were totally different to the exam itself

Not sure what CompTia wanted to achieve, if you look at the reviews of the book on Amazon, it is not good reading

Thanks