Options

Entry Level positions

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
What comes after Help Desk and NOC?

it's been mentioned that these are Entry-level. What about those persons looking for a pay raise, and more responsibility afterwards?

So what's middle of the road (After a NOC tech)? What's the top-most tier?
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    System Admin or Desktop Support if you're jumping from Help Desk. Sometimes you might be able to jump into networking.

With a NOC job, you might be able to jump into a Jr Network Engineer or regular Network Engineer role (IT job titles are ambiguous at best sometimes)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it really depends on where you work and how big they are. You could move from level 1 help desk to level 2 then to level 3 (again if your company has it). As Iris pointed out, you could also move to perhaps a deskside support role, though I've always felt that was a lateral move and could stop you from moving into server administration since you would be solely supporting desktops. NOC? Really depends on the type of NOC and their duties. If it is truly network based, than I agree with Iris you could move into a network engineering position.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Helpdesk to Systems Administration can be a hard gap to jump but it's really the most traveled path it seems. Be on the look out for Jr. Systems Administration positions or those looking for someone with little experience.

Myself I moved from Desktop Support to a helpdesk/Jr. Systems Administration position to a real Systems Administration position.