Options

New Job

drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
Sr. Network Admin

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on your new job! How long did it take you to finally make it there?
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congratulations, Drkat. You're one of those people I could see making it very far in the IT world. +1 to rep
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. You really didn't want to do the voice lol. Worked out though got a new job and better pay can't beat that.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the new gig!
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Congrats! Sounds like a great job, good luck!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz on the new job
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, mind giving like a timeline of the different titles, length, and pay you had on your way to Sr. Network Administrator for the rest of us aspiring IT guys?

Obviously everyone's path will vary but it'd be interesting to know.
  • Options
    Keep us posted on how the new job goes! You deserve it man!
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well,

I was going to say congrats, until I read the last post. That sucks man, hate it when people jack it up with the paperwork. Hang in there, I am sure something else will come along if this doesn't work out for you.

Gene
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Thanks for posting that, I find peoples path in life super interesting...

but hey...

drkat wrote: »
    2007: IT Helpdesk $17/hr - 9/06 - 6/07
    2007: IT Helpdesk $13/hr 8/07 - 2/08

what happened from June 2007 to August 2007 that made you drop $4 an hour?

but I hope it works out for you, sorry they are jerking you around at the last minute
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Congrats on the new job. Hope it goes well for you tomorrow.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    drkat,

hope the paperwork gets worked out. What area are you in? So people can also figure out the salary to cost of living difference.
  • Options
    Sounds great! Keep us posted!
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congrats! Glad it all worked out
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Very very excited about this opportunity!
  • Options
    Ok guys I have a small problem.. so this is 2 month temp to perm.. the full time salary has already been negotiated. I'm a bit worried about giving up a full time position for a temp to perm job even though it's 15K more a year.. what do you guys think?
  • Options
    If you feel you are capable of handling the position then I think the risk is relatively low. If you feel this may be a reach then you may want to stay with the company you are at.

Don't let fear drive your decision making process, but there is nothing wrong with being honest with yourself.
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I say you go for it. 15k more year is a good raise, I would regret not going for it if I had to opportunity. I think its worth it
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    The wife has me all thinking about the worst case scenarios. Hmm... I know I'll probably kick myself in the @$$ for not taking it... worst case I am unemployed ;) who wants to work anyway
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take it, fortune favors the bold.
  • Options
  • Options
    What is a good MS Cert to compliment the Cisco? Im not thinking full blown MCITP: EA or anything but something that atleast will get past HR and support my Windows experience?
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
  • Options
    Hmm MCSA 2008 == 3 tests?? w00t... heh
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    go for it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Questions I'd have if this were me: Is there a probationary period when you go perm after your 2 months as a temp? Or is the 2 months the probie period? Are you being paid by some third party firm for two months, and then will get picked up by the client? Or is this an arrangement 100% from the company you are working for?

My personal opinion...I would never bother with temp-to-perm offers...that's what probation periods are for.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm paid hourly plus bennies from the agency then perm from the client salary n bennies

I spoke to the client and they said 45 days most likely for the temp
    The guys seem pretty cool

I'm still overall concerned with leaving a FTE type for this however the commute and salary is hard to pass up ...
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just do your homework on the client before you say "yes..."

Check glassdoor, google the ---- out of the place (which I'm sure you have) and try to find out whatever you can. You also want to do homework on the firm that will be paying you to make sure you don't get screwed.

Tread with caution...there are a bunch of places that will pay you your $15k (or more) that does not play the temp-to-perm games. When/If you are sure that's what you want then say yes.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I've googled them and what not found a mix bag of reviews mostly from 2010 when they did some restructuring.. the current 2 other guys have been there 7 and 4 years respectively. They lost their Cisco guy so they're under the gun to get a cisco guy in there. I think that's why they hired me so fast. They want me to start on 8/27 actually whichis right around the corner.

I clocked the commute today - 7 minutes to the office.. not bad at all
  • Options
    Something about temp to perm just doesnt seem right. I'm going to go back to them and tell them that if they want me then they can hire me directly and for X salary otherwise I'm not playing their games. You're absolutely right about another company giving me 15K or more and I should "keep it in my pants" till the right one comes a long...