Options

Quick question-Meeting a recruiter in a public place.

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Quick question-Meeting a recruiter in a public place.

I’m meeting a recruiter at a coffee shop, at her suggestion. We live in the same town, so it’s just easier to meet there.

My questions are..

Can I wear a polo shirt and khaki pants? Or should I go suit and tie?

Is there an advantage to meeting at a public place vs. at a recruiting company?
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go dressed as you would if it were an office. Appropriate to the meeting.
    Remember, it's better to be dressed too well for the interview than too poorly. I got one particualar job that way alone.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would wear a tie, but not a suit. Definitely better to be overdressed that under-dressed.

I don't see an big difference. Either way, you get free coffee.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Seeing as you're meeting her at a coffee shop it doesn't seem all that formal to me. What is the purpose of this meeting? -Is it for her to interview you or just chat about opportunities?

I would dress nice but definitely not suit or tie nice. If this was meant to be a professional, formal meeting then it wouldn't be at an informal location.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Seeing as you're meeting her at a coffee shop it doesn't seem all that formal to me. What is the purpose of this meeting? -Is it for her to interview you or just chat about opportunities?

I would dress nice but definitely not suit or tie nice. If this was meant to be a professional, formal meeting then it wouldn't be at an informal location.

The purpose is-just chat about opportunities
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Wear black trousers, shoes-black or brown, and a smart full length shirt....no tie, no jacket. For the shirt, blue goes better than white, then you don't look like a 14 year old on his lunch break.

Imo this is the right balance for this particular meeting.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd go with a tie at least. As the saying goes, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    If this is a first meeting I would go as you would go dressed for an interview. After all, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. I have made exceptions in the past when the meeting was either just before or after work but I informed the person that I was meeting with that in advanced and would be dressed for work and not the meeting.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    I would go business casual.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The purpose is-just chat about opportunities

Dressing well will also impress upon her that you are to be taken more seriously and professionally. Just make sure that you talk as well as you dress ;)
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    ..Or give the message that you don't know how to properly analyze situations and like to take the safe route.

I would go business casual.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    this is a recruiter right? not an actual job interview? business casual at the most....

i get multiple recruiter phone calls a day, and about 70% are a complete waste of time...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say business casual. If you normally wear a tie, wear one. If not, shirt (polo or dress) and nice pants. I wouldn't over think it too much.
    The last time I worked with a recruiter, we met for coffee the first time we met. It was just to get to know each other a little and talk about that I was looking for.
  • Options
    CamargovilleCamargoville Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would go in full professional. I think that lets someone know your serious about this. I went to an interview the other day, they told me to go ahead and take off my suit(coat) that I got extra points for wearing it to the interview.
    Dual Associate of Applied Science in Computer Engineering Technology and Electronic Engineering Technology.
    Spencerian College '09

Fedora, Ubuntu User
    Windows 7