Options

Passed Hitachi's Storage Technology cert exam

watcher_bwatcher_b Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm relatively new to the whole certification world. We lost our storage manager here and I saw an opportunity to step into that role. I'm friends with the supplier of our storage infrastructure (which is mainly Hitachi machines) and he told me about what I guess is a relatively new cert, the HDS Storage Technology Certification which I guess is aimed at junior engineers and college students.

HDS: Storage Technology Track

I bought the book, studied it for a week and a half and went and took the test and just barely passed. Being my first certification, I was surprised at how many questions really depended on practical knowledge. I guess it really wasn't too hard, as I did pass after only a week and a half of studying.

Now I am looking at where to go next. I find the storage side of engineering great and I see a lot of potential. I am just trying to figure out if I lean more towards Hitachi, since that is what is used here, go more generic with the CompTIA track, or maybe even broaden out into other supportive certs.

This is my first post, thanks everyone!

Comments

• Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass and welcome to TE :)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Congrats on passing.

I would lean more towards learning what you're using as that's going to get you the more practical application of the knowledge. When you have time, learn how other vendors do it as well. If you just started that role, I would focus all my energy to learn as much about that as possible as quickly as you can. I recently started getting more into storage, and I'm really enjoying it. Its definitely a good field to be in.
  • Options
    mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
    watcher_b wrote: »
    Hi, I'm relatively new to the whole certification world. We lost our storage manager here and I saw an opportunity to step into that role. I'm friends with the supplier of our storage infrastructure (which is mainly Hitachi machines) and he told me about what I guess is a relatively new cert, the HDS Storage Technology Certification which I guess is aimed at junior engineers and college students.

HDS: Storage Technology Track

I bought the book, studied it for a week and a half and went and took the test and just barely passed. Being my first certification, I was surprised at how many questions really depended on practical knowledge. I guess it really wasn't too hard, as I did pass after only a week and a half of studying.

So what do you currently do on your job or are you working already with the storage because I am thinking of taking the exams but I have no knowledge or experience in storage? I work with Virtual Machines and Windows Server Admin though.