Is routersim a must to pass ccna?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
$179. Hmmm....

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    $179. Hmmm....
    Nope. You could also use Boson Netsim, Packet Tracer, GNS3, or real devices. The key thing is to ensure you get adequate hands-on experience doing labs with IOS.
  • EildorEildor Member Posts: 444
    Packet Tracer will do just fine for CCNA; save your cash.
  • johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    Eildor wrote: »
    Packet Tracer will do just fine for CCNA; save your cash.

It looks like I have to be a cisco network academy student to download the packet tracer....

Is it free to be such a student?
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    john, check your private messages. I sent you some information. As for the academy no it is not free.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'll need to be apart of Cisco Academy for Packettracer.
    However, there's also GNS3.
    I used Boson NetSim, and while it wasn't so bad - it definitely listed labs :)

But yeah - you'll need CLI experience.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

It looks like I have to be a cisco network academy student to download the packet tracer....

That's a point, it's not free. Sorry >.<
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□

Eildor wrote: »
    That's a point, it's not free. Sorry >.<

Get enrolled in a Cisco III or IV class. I enrolled in one but it got cancelled for low enrollment but trying a second time in Fall. I'm using it like a "runway at an airport" to launch or liftoff my CCxx study routine so I can smash and better DEMOLISH CCxx success!! Call me lazy but I got tired of struggling to lab and study but I like to think of enrolling for a refresh Academy as industrious.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is.

Enrolling in a class will help because you get to have a think tank. Imagine if you will multiple minds, all for one goal - Understanding how this works. It's interesting, also, to pull a prank on someone else while they're configuring a router.

Nothing like good ol' reload!

Home#reload in 010 It's the will of the panda!

System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: n
    Reload scheduled in 10 minutes by console
    Reload reason: It's the will of the panda!
    Proceed with reload? [confirm]

*Mar 1 00:02:30.431: %SYS-5-SCHEDULED_RELOAD: Reload requested for 00:12:18 UTC Fri Mar 1 2002 at 00:02:18 UTC Fri Mar 1 2002 by console. Reload Reason: It's the will of the panda!.

Home#show te

*** --- SHUTDOWN in 0:05:00 ---

Not that I suggest doing this to your classmates. Ever... >.>

It's not your fault they forgot to put a password, and then encrypt it. I mean. Hackers would love to come in, and change a few digits around. :D
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

I had to do the CCNA Exploration course over year 1 and 2 of my degree, and to be honest I found myself not turning up to the lessons. The pace was just too slow for my liking; but I guess you wouldn't be doing it over 2 years so you might have a different experience (I had to attend two days a week). In my opinion it's not worth the money unless you have an amazing teacher who is going to give you a lot of support, and help you achieve your CCNA.