I have a confession...--Windows 8--

124»

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think what the UI is trying to "solve" is make a UI that is universal between the Windows Phone and Xbox (and the one after the 360) as well as Microsoft Surface.

Majority of non technical users create shortcuts on their desktops for applications. Metro makes sense if it was like what Mac OS X did with its addition of iOS features where you create shortcuts and folders, that is it. THAT makes sense to the average user, except Metro tries to make it look good with different sized icons for different purposes/colors.

I get it where "all apps" in Metro is like Android where if you need to access applications you didn't already create a shortcut you wade through that.

Edit: Just remembered something....During the install on a new laptop Windows 8 found my Canon MG5200 wifi printer and installed it automatically without asking me. I thought at first it was convenient but now I kind of don't like the idea of it going out and grabbing stuff to add from my home network without asking.
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    what do you need that is not built into virtual box? i did all my labs for MCITP:SA with virtual box
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    So guys, Win 8 seems not worth the trouble of upgrading? Or should I put the upgrade word within quotations?
    Faster boot times, faster text and image processing to me don't matter much if it isn't anything revolutionary new. I think I will stick with Win 7 for quite some time.
    I wonder how would this MS App Store affect software piracy and effectively Windows' popularity in less industrially developed countries where copyright law is loosely upheld. Users there get Windows computers from their stores and when their free (pirated) copies of needed software aren't available anymore since MS becomes sole distributor, I wonder if all those people would start shunning Windows alltogether...
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    varelg: if it is software, it can and will be pirated.
    Speaking about the middle east, I do not think that people would start shunning Windows, Windows Arabic language support is the best I do not think any other os can compete with Microsoft when it comes to language support.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Remember when Microsoft made all these awesome claims about boot time, improved laptop battery life and less bloat with Windows 7? Yeah........consider me NOT on this bandwagon.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't think Win 8 is going to curb piracy. You can still download and install apps outside of the store. So just like jail breaking an iPhone or side loading in Android, Win 8 Metro apps will be pirated, especially since you can have a strictly local account not utilizing your Windows account.

Personally, I think with the tablet revolution and the rising popularity of OSX, Windows 8 has been a misstep. I don't think it'll hurt their bottom line because they'll still be #1 in the Enterprise and every PC will have Windows 8 loaded on. It also doesn't hurt that Apple likes profit margins like Cisco, Microsoft and VMware (bastards).

And I'm going to check out DreamSpark to see if I can get another license.

Also, I don't see the point of Virtual Box with Hyper-V; however, hyper isn't included in regular Windows 8 nor is it enabled by default on Pro. Double Doh.
    I don't know. There are tons of products out there that support/manage Android and iOS. People have gotten use to tablets being fast, simple and not having blue screen errors or Windows Updates every day. I suspect Windows 8 will flop just like every Windows Mobile OS.
  • someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just installed it a few hours ago in my old laptop.. got mine from dreamspark, First impression.. wish i have a touchscreen monitor!!
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I've been playing around with it and trying to get on board, but I really, really, really don't like Windows 8. Don't get me wrong, there's some neat stuff in there, but overall, it does nothing for me that Windows 7 didn't do, and does a lot of things worse. Now, I am trying to keep in mind that his is an OS that isn't even officially released yet, and things will likely improve after a few rounds of Windows updates, and as developers jump on board with Metro. But then again, I'm also a guy who used Windows 7 as my primary OS since RC1 - it was rock solid and had me wowed and convinced MS had gotten it right.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've gotten used to it. I have it on my laptop and 7 on my desktop.

I've had one BSOD (love the new smiley), but it's probably a driver issue. The official release doesn't come out until October. I also haven't really visited the store too much. I wish the interface was a little more AppStore like.

The only thing I really miss is OWA and my addiction to solitaire which you can't access anymore from desktop (and I mean as a standard desktop app like the default games we've had since forever). I'm probably going to need to install a Win7 VM to have OWA again since IE is borked right now.
  • rodimus773rodimus773 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also planning to move my old HP Mini 311 to Windows 8. Were you able to fix the graphic driver issue? Is it worth the trouble?
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Still not a fan. Learning curve is too steep, many unnecessary changes. I tried pulling up the properties screen, near impossible, search feature was crap. Not interested.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I tried pulling up the properties screen, near impossible, search feature was crap. Not interested.

Especially sucks if / when you have that Metro nonsense on a server and you need to navigate on a window'ed RDP session. Hitting the right spots on the screen to get the menus is a hit and miss game.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    Don't worry, you'll be getting a free upgrade to Windows 8.1! icon_rolleyes.gif