Anyone console into a Cisco switch with an Android tablet/phone?

astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to connect an Android based tablet, particularly the Google Nexus 7, to a Cisco switch/router over its console port. Has anybody done this?

Right now I'm trying to use my HTC Thunderbolt to test it out, but I'm looking at picking up the Nexus 7 tablet. I've downloaded a nice terminal program, (Better Terminal), but I don't know if the mini USB port will work with my Console-to-USB cable that I use for my laptop. For this to work I'd still need a male-to-male USB adapter just so I can plug them together, but on Windows the console-to-usb adapter requires a driver so I'd imagine I probably would need one for Android as well. However, Linux doesn't require a driver for this adapter so I'm hoping that because Android is Linux based it'll work, (fingers crossed).

I read in an old post from 2010 that Android phone's mini USB ports wouldn't work for this, but I'm hoping newer devices can. I might pick up a usb male to male adapter and try it out, but I thought it would be worth asking here since I'm sure some of you have wanted, or hopefully done this already.

I saw that there is a $60 device for Apple's iPad that does exactly this, but I'm an Android guy :)

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've sene it done with iPad, like you said. But I would think there would be a way.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of the guys I used to work with used a bluetooth serial thingy to do this from his tablet. Worked for him, but I haven't tried it.
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    I'm not sure about android devices Redpark makes a console cable and software but its for the ipad/iphone. You have to root your iphone or ipad but it can be done. Androids kernel is based on the linux kernel so it should be possible if you can find the hardware/software to do it with but I've never done it so I can't be sure. Now I have used a terminal program on my android phone to remotely connect to a router but as for doing it directly you might do a search on google and see if anythings comes up. Good luck.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can't say I've consoled into one with android but for my home lab I've telnetted into one from my DROID phone.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No ssh?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ssh works but requires an ethernet connection so even with that I'd still need an adapter, (no wireless). It's not a huge deal since I usually have my laptop with me when I need it, but it would be nice to have something a little smaller, or even use my phone if I forgot my laptop in the other building. Kind of one of those things I'd rarely need, but would be nice when I do need it. I'll probably pick up a USB cable to connect my phone to my console cable and see what happens.
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was able to connect with my samsumg ace to a alcatel switch, aruba controller, even i was able to remote desktop doing some ssl vpn with fortigate and then remote desktop securely to the server....

If its possible with a cellphone it should be possible with a tablet...
  • JakutechJakutech Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It can be done by a android serial cable with the appropriate android hypertermianl software in androidConfigure Telephone switch/Cisco console by Android serial cable + RJ45 cable - YouTube