Transcendent Man

synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
Hey. I just watched this movie on Netflix and it was pretty interesting. It's about the futurist and inventor Ray Kurzweil. He is one of the leading experts on predicting new and upcoming technologies. The main topic on this movie is his predictions of a future period of time he calls "the singularity". He talks about how computers are getting faster and smarter at more rapid speeds and those computers are being used to design and create even faster and smarter devices and at some point in the future he predicts that technology will be changing so fast that we will have to enhance ourselves with AI to keep up. He also talks about devices that can enter the bloodstream and fight disease, predicts when there will be AI equal to the sum of all human intelligence, AI that far surpasses anything our human brains can do, etc. He talks about how our knowledge of the brain and how it works is limited only by current technology but since the resolution and data a MRI can gather doubles every year it is only a matter of time before we fully understand the brain and how it works which a necessary step in replicating it with technology. He discusses all this stuff and more in detail in the movie. I'm not sure how much of it will happen or how accurate his predictions are but it is interesting to think of a world where poverty, world hunger, and illness are all solved with technology. A point in time where reality and virtual reality have no distinction. 89 out of 109 of his predictions from 1999 have been proven right. If you got some time to kill or are bored it's a movie I would recommend.

As for something fictional check out the movie Battleship. It has an interesting plot and the special effects are amazing. icon_cool.gif
Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I actually brought the movie and the book (only got through half the book). I really did enjoy the movie, but I did find it telling that even after taking all those pills and everything else he still had a heart attack. I really enjoyed his interview on Bill Maher last year (I think it was last year).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff